Your Toyota Guy
Your Toyota Guy, Certified Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  I have been/am a Toyota technician for 15yrs+.
75929629

Toyota Avalon Touring: I have a 2006 Avalon and the electric

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Avalon and the electric trunk release suddenly stopped working, neither from the swith under the dash or the remote. It's not the switch under the glove box. I can't check the fuse because the manual omitted that device so I don't know which one it is. Any thoughts?
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If the fuse is not blown, what may the Problem be?
Expert:  Your Toyota Guy replied 2 years ago.
First lets start with some simple diagnosis, put your ear up to the middle of the trunk where the latch is located and then press the trunk release button on the remote, listen for the motor to move, let me know if you hear anything.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no
Can you get the trunk open?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, there's a manual pull I can reach through the pass thru in the back seat
Access that and remove the trim around the latch enough to access the electrical plug that goes to the latch on the trunk lid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll try. Did you discount my fuse theory?
That circuit is not directly fused.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what do you want me to do with electrical plug. I can't remove it without knowing the secret to doing that.
Do you have a test light or meter?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have a multimeter.
Ok, you are going to need to set it to test DC voltage. Then you will see the back of the plug there should be three wires, white with black stripe, solid white and solid black. You are testing for voltage on the black wire when the trunk release is activated. (You can use the white with black stripe wire for your ground lead (black test lead on the meter)).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't pull the plug out to get to the contacts. What's the secret, I asked before.
Test it without removing it by poking the leads in the holes from the back of the connector. If you wish to unplug the connector look for a small tab that you push down then gently pull the connector out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can we continue this later. I have to leave now.
Sure.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
tested the voltage there and it was zero. What next?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there anyone there?
Let me look up the wiring diagram real quick...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What did you find when you looked up the wiring diagram? I'm still waiting for an answer, please,
Sorry for the delay, let's just make sure, under the driver's dash next to the left knee check the fuse box for a fuse marked "7.5 A ECU-ACC"
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does that fuse box openness from the top or bottom? I have tried before to open it with.my fingers and couldn"t do it.
Look upwards from under the dash and you will see the cover with the fuse layout graphic on it, pull the Front-most side of the cover down.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The fuse was fine. I guess I'll have to take it to a dealer to find the problem.
That is a computer controlled mechanism, unfortunately if it isn't getting power and your fuse is good you have no other choice.