Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

Solara: I have a Toyota solara I'm trying to replace the ignition

Customer Question

I have a Toyota solara I'm trying to replace the ignition switch but the key will not turn to acc so I can't press the tab to remove the cylinder
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We can not get the old cylinder switch out
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern and am sorry to hear that this is happening.
Do you have the lower dash portion removed so you can see the small hole with the detent pin?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It will not press in
Good job so far!! That pin needs to push in and we have two options here... 1) have the Dealer cut a brand new key using the Solara's VIN #. This will cut a brand new key like the day it rolled off the factory floor. This may allow you to turn the key to the ACC position and thus remove the cylinder. Option #2) is to use a small pin punch the same size as the detent head and smack it with a large hammer till it collapses inward and then pull the switch out.Does this make sense?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Year
Year or Yes?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes pushed wrong button
So its out now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will be right back in a moment
Ill be right here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We are still hitting it
Ok. Now will need to try and pull it out also every so often. You will also want to take a flat head screwdriver or a chisel punch, place it on the outer edge of the cylinder(near where the key goes in) and punch it out that way. The small detent pin could still be sticking out just a bit where some force is needed to slide the cylinder out(pulling may not be enough force).
Also, since you may not have seen this before, here is a video showing a Toyota cylinder removal. Skip to 1 minute 44 seconds... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtmdQFBkqwE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will be back in a 15min.
Ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Were back got a punch and a chizel what did you say to do with the chizel again
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Its out thank you very much .
Damn good job sir You need a job working for Toyota? :)
Do you have any more questions for me tonight?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do you put the new ignition in?
Just reverse it. Put the key in switch, start to slide the switch into the receiver and push the pin in(it may push itself in when you put pressure on it), slide it all the way in and then turn the key to remove it and it will lock into place.
In that video link I sent skip to 2 minutes 14 seconds and it shows him sliding the switch in.
Did you get it in?
Just checking to see.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so inside the tube ther is a flat piece that the cylinder slides on as of this moment the flat piece is horizontal and its blocking the cylinder how do you make it move to the vertical position
Reach in with some pliers(or screwdriver) and turn it like the key would. One position to the right(clockwise) As if it were already in the ACC position.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We have it in and it work thanks for your help.
My pleasure and thank you for letting me help. Please take the time to rate my help and know that I strive to give Excellent Service!