HighwayRepair
HighwayRepair, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  8 Years Auto Repair Experience. Owner/Operator of Highway Auto Repair, a mobile automotive repair business
49268239

Toyota highlander: 2002 toyota highlander - when my car is

Customer Question

2002 toyota highlander - when my car is cold, it takes about 8 times trying to start before it starts. But once it's been running awhile , then it starts the 1st time .... Why?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  HighwayRepair replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. The most common cause for this concern is the vehicle leaking down residual fuel pressure after sitting for a long time ( couple hours) - when attempting to restart the vehicle, instead of immediately having fuel available, you have to re-prime the fuel lines before fuel will get to the engine. The proper way to test this would be to install a fuel gauge and check if fuel pressure is leaking down>
If you don't have a fuel gauge, a workaround is to do the following the next time you go to start the vehicle cold:
1. wait multiple hours to ensure that the vehicle is in the state that would make it take multiple attempts to start.
2. insert the key and turn it to the "on" or "run" position, but not enough to engage the starter, you will hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds before shutting off.
3. Remove the key
4. insert the key and turn it to the "on" position again.
5. repeat this process a few times
6. insert the key and attempt to start the vehicle, if it starts on the first try, you know the problem was low fuel pressure and inserting the key and priming it manually as described above allowed the vehicle to start on the first attempt to engage the starter.
If the above process allows the vehicle to start properly, the cause of the fuel residual pressure would need to be tracked down, often times the faulty part is the fuel pump itself.