Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Scion XA: Good Morning:My 2005 Scion XA air conditioner will

Customer Question

Good Morning:
My 2005 Scion XA air conditioner will not work when I first start the car, it blows only hot air. After I get on the road and drive at a higher speed the air conditioner works fine, even when the car is stopped in traffic or a stop light there are no other problems. I have tried turning the switch on and off, adjusting the temp. The only consistent variable seems to be driving the car at a higher speed after it is turned on. Could the problem be the thermostat?
Please advise,
Thanks,
AL
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for posting your question
The a/c is not regulated by engine coolant temperature unless the engine overheats or there is a check engine light on in which case the compressor is shut off. You mentioned that it does not cool right after the engine is started and it seems ok once the engine is at higher rpm and temperature, this could be due to a low freon level or possibly a bad a/c clutch relay.
About the only thing I would recommend doing is to try adding some Freon from one of those self service kits, just follow the instruction that come with it, try swapping the a/c clutch relay in the box under the hood with another relay, I think the horn relay is the same.