Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Toyota Highlander: Tom, 2006 Highlander at 60k- ish miles,

Customer Question

Hi Tom, 2006 Highlander at 60k- ish miles, pre owned. Perfect car. Then a rhythmic squeaking began when I started in morning. Lasted about 2 Blocks of driving (in Oakland area.) Toyota dealer replaced timing belt. All good. Squeak squeek gone. Now at 67,000 miles
It's back. Took to another Toyota dealer for service. Said two belts- ac&power steering and alternator need replacing. I said do it. $359.00
But why didn't the previous service replacing the timing belt replace these other belts as well?
Thanks, Richard
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 2 years ago.
Different Expert here and thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today. The short answer is that the first Toyota Dealer dropped the ball on this and they should have replaced the two outer belts when they replaced the timing belt. The only difference is when they started putting the vehicle back together, when replacing the timing belt, they simply would have grabbed the new drive belts instead of the old ones. It saves on labor costs for you. Now are you sure that the first dealer didn't replace the belts? I wouldn't necessarily take the new shops word at it. I would check the original shops receipt and see if the drive belts are billed out on that invoice. Is there a way for you to check and see?