Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

Prius: 2006 Prius two AC problems. Pictures please. #1: AC

Customer Question

2006 Prius two AC problems. Pictures please. #1: AC runs but barely cools; can I refill via low pressure port with pure 134a? any special warning? refill up to how many psi? should I add some ND-11? if so how much as % of the 134a I add? #2: partial air block results in less than half of air coming through front vents; see what I have tried; how to fix this permanently?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Do you have refrigeration gauges that read both high and low side pressures?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Ideally it would be good to know how much refrigerant is in the system. If you put your gauge is on the highside and low side ports are you getting any reading on the gauges and does the low side fluctuate lower than the highside with the air conditioning turned onto high fan and Max air? If both the highside and low side are reading exactly the same at about 80 to 90 PSI depending on your current ambient temperature if the compressor is not coming on and there would be a code stored in the air conditioning amplifier ECU or the body ECU. It requires a special scan tool in order to check for these codes. If the compressor is working and not making any noise the low side reading should be between 28 PSI and 35 PSI and will fluctuate slightly. The highside pressure normal reading will be around 180 PSI up to about 220 PSI depending on the ambient temperature. The hotter the day the higher the highside pressure will run up to about 250 PSI. If you take a hose and run water over the A/C condenser it will help cool the condenser down while sitting still and running these tests. It is acceptable to add some refrigerant into the low side port as a gas typically if you're using a 1 pound can of are 134 a use the can sitting upright with the can tap on the top of the Can so it enters the system as a gas not a liquid. It's not necessary to add any refrigerant oil at this time. Let me know how this goes. If you're uncertain as to how much refrigerant is in the system carefully allow the pressure to bleed off of the low side ports so that oil does not escape and then the system holds 1 pound. Normally your refrigerant cans are 12 ounce cans. It would take one 12 ounce can and slightly more on a second can. 16 ounces to a pound.