Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Toyota tundra: I replaced my alternator on my 08 tundra, now

Customer Question

I replaced my alternator on my 08 tundra, now my truck is firing off
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I re initialize my electrical system.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for posting your question
What exactly is wrong with the truck, there is no need nor is there a way to re initialize the electrical system, something happened after replacing the alternator, I just need a little clarification what that is, so please try to be as specific as you can and tell me what is happening when you start the engine. I also need to know if it's a V6 or V8
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its a V8 5.7. when i start the truck its seems like its missfiring or timing is off. when ingive it gas there is a slight delay then when i relaes the gas pedal it shuts down. I cant use the remote to unlock the doors or use the inside switch to unlock door. the following light stay on vts, 4 lo, check engine.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** engine light is on because there is a misfire detected, the other lights turn on because of the check engine light because those systems are disabled until the cause for the check engine light is fixed. The most likely causes for misfires on these engines are worn spark plugs or a bad ignition coil pack, the best way to go about this is to get the diagnostic codes from the computer to isolate which cylinder is misfiring, if you do not have a code reader or can borrow one go to any autoparts store like Autozone, Advance Auto, Pep Boys etc. they read the codes for you at no charge in all states except California, then let me know the code numbers they get from the computer and I'll help you figure out what to do.
The door lock problem is not related but I would check the fuses both inside and under the hood, maybe a blown fuse which can happen when the battery is disconnected and the alternator is replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The following codes, P0300B, P03006, P03007, P03008. every time i change out coil pack i get more codes, the spark plugs has only 500 plus miles on them. Is there an imobilizer on my truck, the power locks and window only work when the truck is running whne i turn it off they power locks and window dont want to work.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply
The P0300 is a random cylinder misfire caused by the P0306,307 and 308 these are for cylinders 3,6,7. On the passenger side #3 is the third one from the front, on the driver's side they are the second and the last cylinder from the front, which coils were replaced already?
Did you check any fuses regarding the electrical issues?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
problem only "after" replacing alternator. All fuses ok. Suspected faulty coils were swapped with coils not triggering DTC's. This followed by additional codes, i.e; P0303, P0305, P0304
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OBTW, battery was disconnected for an extended period of time. Perhaps the engine ECU may need to be Flashed or Re-learned.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
The computer resets to factory default settings after the battery is disconnected, there is no re-flashing required or recommended, the only time Toyota orders computer reprogramming is to fix a known problem or recall. I don't see a correlation between the alternator replacement, unless there are some blown fuses, and the current misfire codes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the coil pack and spark plug on the whole side 1,3,5,7 and check all the fuses still the same codes and issues.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I fixed the misfire issues, my traction control, anti skid, airbag, 4-lo lights are still on. I drove and tested my 4lo and 4 hi and it works. But like I said the lights stay on like it on 4 lo. I still can't unlock or lock doors when the vehicle is off.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried disconnecting the battery for about 5 minutes to see if these lights stay off?