Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Toyota Celica: My 1990 toyota celica engine shuts down when

Customer Question

My 1990 toyota celica engine shuts down when car is driven and engine warms up. white smoke comes from under the hood. the car is not running hot but it will not crank after it shuts down. The car must cool off before it will crank again. Have already had fuel pump checked out. this mechanic who checked it out does not want to work on it as he told my brother the car is too old. I love this car. It is so cheap on gas and small enough for me to parallel park on b'ham streets. Please guide me to what area u think could be causing this problem. Hope it is not cracked head gasket but my son said it wouldn't crank if it was the head gasket. HELP!!!
Thank you so much,
Angela
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you.
This actually sounds like two different problems simultaneously.
The white smoke is most likely coolant, probably from a leaking water pump. Very common problem these days.
The no crank hot...I would suspect bad (worn) contacts in the starter motor solenoid.
The recommendation here is inexpensive diagnosis first. Have the guy perform a cooling system pressure test. This will detect the cause of the white smoke. This is almost always a coolant leak.
Secondly, have the starter motor removed and the solenoid contacts inspected. It will be very easy to see if they are burnt and worn. If so, the replacement of them is rather inexpensive
If you have any questions, please feel free to reply
Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer