Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Camry: Tried to program new remote and apparently missed a

Customer Question

Tried to program new remote and apparently missed a step. Now the old remote does not work and the switch on the doors don't work either. How can I reset the system. 2000 Camry with factory installed system/
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Does either inside door lock switch work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no. and the original remote doesn't work
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a simple 12v test light or a voltmeter with a reasonable knowledge of how to use it? If the door locks do not work you will not be able to get the remotes to program you have to start with diagnosing why the door locks do not work first. Do the power Windows work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the windows work. Everything electrical works. It's as though the computer module is not responding because of what I did trying to program the remote. Is there a way to reset the module that controls to door locks?
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
The door locks are independent of the programming. This should make no difference when you tried to program the remotes the power door locks are powered on all the time. We need to start with diagnosing as to why they do not work. Do you have a simple 12 V test light or a voltmeter with a reasonable knowledge of how to use it so we can check a few things? You will need access to the back of both door switches which requires popping the door switch out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes I have a VOM. let me know what to test.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Okay let me get in the wiring diagram I will get back with you later this morning with some voltage tests. You will need to have access to both connectors at both door lock switches. The door lock switches pop up out of the door panel the door panel does not have to be removed. Also you will need access to the electrical connectors behind the left plastic kick panel by the drivers left foot.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Do you have the vehicle identification number available or do you know if this is a Kentucky built Camry?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4T1BG22K6YU931116
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
standby
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
At the connector for the window master switch locate the two wires corresponding to pin 2 which is a light green wire and pin seven which is a green wire. What is the voltage on these two wires?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, thought I replied to this last night. Not sure which pin is #2 or #7. Tried one light green and had no voltage. I'm guessing that's between the pin and ground. Same with what I think is pin #7. Holding connector with key (in the center) to the right #2 is second pin from top and #7 is first pin on left side.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Based on your description it does sound correct. The Toyota pins are counted from the top left corner starting in the left and counting up towards the right on the first row then the second row is the same way. If you have no voltage on these pins this means the power is not getting to the switch from the integration relay/fuse block. Did you check all of the fuses in the fuse panel on the left side of the instrument panel? Are any blown and do they all have 12 V? Check them with the key in the on position. On the door lock switch on the passenger door the same color wires should have voltage also did you check them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not check all of the fuses, only the ones the owners manual listed as having to do with the locks or security system. Will check all of them
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Ok the gauge and IGN fuses feed power to the integration relay and that is what sens signal power to the switches. Check the right switch also.