Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Toyota Avalon XLS: I have a 2004 Toyota Avalon and the lights

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Toyota Avalon and the lights flickers. The shop said that is the alternator but I measured the battery today and it had 11.50 Volts, it cranks ok 100% of the time. I went to an Autozone today and they load test the battery and is reading good and the ripple in the alternator is around 10. Nothing has been replaced yet and the car have the original Toyota alternator. Let me know if any questions.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that you are having this issue. What light did you say is flickering? The charging light?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All the lights in the car. Dome and headlights are more noticeable than others. Thanks.
I see. You said-- I measured the battery today and it had 11.50 Volts That is well below what a good battery should be at. A good battery should be 12.6 volts at a minimum. So there is one problem there but before we replace anything yet, lets clarify this--- what do you mean when you say "Autozone today and they load test the battery and is reading good and the ripple in the alternator is around 10." Does that mean the alternator is charging at 10 volts? or 10 what? Thanks for the clarification.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Autozone is an auto parts that checks your charging system for free and they use some kind of machine to test the charging system, they said that all the cells are good. The ripple is the AC voltage in the charging system and a normal ripple should not be more than 0.1 Volts AC mine have 0.1 Volts AC. The battery measured the 11.50V but after running the car for like 15 minutes it measured like 12 Volts approximate. Let me know if any questions. Thanks for your time.
I apologize for the delay. Since we are dealing with an electrical issue (the lights flicker) this will come down to one of three areas: 1) the battery 2) the alternator 3) wiring (such as excess resistance in the circuit). The first thing we always do in the shop is to verify the customer concern and then test the effected area. Seeing that we have run across our first problem issue with the battery not at the required 12.6 volts, that is where we will need to start. I did want to share a short video with you so you can see what we are dealing with and maybe help visually explain what we are discussing.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COJr7OB23Hw