Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2000 Avalon. Engine check light on. Replaced 2 sensors.

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Avalon. Engine check light on. Replaced 2 sensors. Light still on P1155
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Did you replaced both sensors with DENSO brand new sensors? Did you ohm test the heater circuit in the bank two sensor? When you say you replaced both sensors are you referring to the air fuel ratio sensors one in each manifold?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At first, replaced both with Denso sensors. code 1135, and 1155. When the engine check light came back on, replaced with Toyota factory sensors from Toyota dealership. Engine check light still on, code 1155. Have not ohm test the heater circuit in the bank two sensor. Yes, replaced sensor in each manifold. Cleaned MAF sensor.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
I need you to do two electrical tests. First of all on the connector to the air fuel ratio sensor for bank two which is located right there on the backside of the cylinder head by the upper radiator hose disconnect the electrical connector. Using your ohmmeter ohm test the two pins corresponding to the two black wires in that sensor. What is that reading? Then locate the two wires on the harness side of the connector that correspond to these two black wires. One should be a black with white and the other should be a black with red. With the key in the on position does the black wire with a white tracer have 12 V or source voltage ie the same as the battery? If it does then plug the connector in and carefully back probe the black wire with a red tracer does it have 12 V or the same source voltage that the black wire with a white tracer had? If it does then start the engine up and monitor that voltage on the black wire with a red tracer. Let me know what that voltage does?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Everything reads normal. Relays and fuses have been checked. Same result. Reset engine check light, light stays off for 2 starts, than comes back on. Code 1155

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
When you say that the readings are normal did you follow the specific voltage checks I needed you to check? What are the voltage readings?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My mechanic, a former Toyota dealership mechanic, said he did all of the voltage checks you recommended and everything checked out ok. If the voltage readings are normal, what is the next step to trouble shooting a 1155 code after replacing sensor with a new Toyota sensor, and getting engine check light?

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Did he explain to you what the voltage was doing on the computer side of the air fuel ratio sensor heater? I need to know what that voltage was doing to determine what the next step is. Do you trust his voltage testing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The 1155 code is cleared. Now I have engine check light on with code 0773. Change solenoid e, flushed ports, check all wire harness. Still have light on. Took to transmission shop. Reset light, test drive car, said the transmission and torque converter are operating properly, problem not in transmission. Still have engine check light on.

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
What was the out come on the 1155 code?