Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I would like to know how to remove my 04 Camry rear bumper

Customer Question

I would like to know how to remove my 04 Camry rear bumper cover because of damage
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was hit in the rear by a teenager in a*****pickup with a wench on the front of it. It was a pretty hart hit and caved the rear bumper cover in where the wench hit it. It also shoved the rear quarter panel forward about 1 1/2 to 2 inches. After I opened the trunk it wouldn't close and latch because the bottom of the latch didn't meet. So the ( I think it is called the rear quarter panel ) needs to be prized backwards to line up with the latch on the trunk. I just want to spend the least amount of money as possible just to get the trunk to close and replace the rear bumper cover.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Attached at bottom of answer are directions to replace the rear bumper cover on your 04 Camry Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. ThanksIf for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe I should have stated that I know nothing about auto body repair. It seems that this answer could be from an auto body manual written for body shop professionals that know body shop nomenclature. I am going to need more detailed explanations of some of the steps.Also, my second question dealing with the rear quarter panel and the trunk latching devise was not answered.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI, Ok, you state you know nothing about auto body repair, but you are wanting to repair your vehicle's body damage. Do you own body repair tools such as pullers, cups, grinder, come-along, straighteners, paint gun, compressor, grating files, ect? It is one thing to unbolt a bumper and replace it, and quite another to repair a unibody that has sustained body damage. Automotive body work does require skill in the profession, especially with unibodies, and does REQUIRE the proper tools.Where the 1/4 panel is pushed in, you cannot simply bang away with a hammer to straighten it. It will require being pulled out with straightener machine or at the very least with a come along. The directions for the bumper are fairly straightforward. Which steps do you need help on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please understand my position on this matter: this is a 2004 Camry with 256,000 miles on it.We bought it new and I know its history; it still runs good and I'm optimistic about getting another 40 or 50 k miles out of it. It has light hail dents on it, and it has this rear bumper damage. I could have it repaired by a body shop however, when I wanted to trade it in on another vehicle, no car dealer would allow a trade-in value that would justify spending the money to have it professionally repaired.Therefore, I do not want it to be restored to showroom beauty. I just don't want my neighbors pointing at me and laughing as I ride down the street.I just want to take the rope off the trunk lid that is now holding the trunk lid down and be able to close the trunk lid into the latching mechanism.And replace the bumper cover with a used bumper cover so that it doesn't look so ratty.I don't want to spend the $5k that the body shops want for the showroom look.I have looked at the damage and I don't think it is as bad as you may be thinking. I think I may be able to do the job myself if I can just get a little help and advice from someone with body shop knowledge.No, I don't have all those body shop tools, but I do have some basic wrenches and tools, and I think I may be able to pull the rear 1/4 panel back to its proper position with a come along if you can give me a little advice on doing that.Also, I need instruction on how to install the new or used rear bumper cover just in case that procedure has any steps that would be in addition to just reversing the removal instructions.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI, Ok, if you can, take some photos of the damage to the 1/4 panel, as well as the the latch area with the trunk open and use the paperclip icon on your reply box to upload them and let me see if it is able to be pulled back and where you need to pull it at