Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Toyota tacoma: I have a 2002 toyota tacoma,extra cab,4x2 automatic

Customer Question

I have a 2002 toyota tacoma,extra cab,4x2 automatic trans. 106,000 miles. When I'm coming to a stop and the transmission drops down to a low geer there is a pronounced clunk. This has been going on for several thousand miles. I've gone to 3 transmission shops, two of them said it's not the transmission, the 3rd said it was the transmission. The 2 shops that said it wasn't the transmission didn't offer a reason for the problem. It hasn't gotten any worse since I noticed the problem.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Hello, thanks for postingThis is kind of a common complaint not only on your truck but as well as other models like the 4 Runner and some Tundras, as well as later model trucks. The problem is not the transmission, Toyota has offered some fixes and some actually work most of the time, I have fixed several by removing the driveshaft and filling the font yoke with grease, some have a grease fitting that can be used with a grease gun to fill the yoke. The reason is that the transmission sometimes shift back into first gear a little to late and does this after the truck stops, that's one explanation, the other is that the driveshaft "unwinds" and releases the pressure on the front yoke splines resulting in the clunk or a "hit from behind " feeling when the transmission shifts into first, other than that Toyota has basically no remedy for this.