Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, 32 years, diagnostic/repair / electrical specialist
13677702

Toyota Tundra: 2007 Toyota Tundra 4WD 4.7 V8. Windshield wipers

Customer Question

2007 Toyota Tundra 4WD 4.7 V8.
Windshield wipers quit working, Fuse is OK. Power to Switch. No power to Motor so I replaced the switch did not work. I then replaced the wiper motor still does not work. What am I missing?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Randall. I will do my best to answer your question, do you have a testlight? do you have intermittant wipers? do the washers work? can you get to the wiper motor to do some power tests?>
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes to all
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
Please test all wires at the motor only with key on, Go through each speed and tell me what wire colors have 12 volts in off, low and on up, thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am using a circuit test that has a red indicator light and a led voltage read out. In the off position I have voltage present but not enough to give a read out on Blk, Yellow and Green. On low i have voltage present but no read out on Blk and on High same on Red.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is why I condemned the switch first.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
ok, so you say low voltage? not undertanding exactly and what voltage at the black wire at the switch
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Low voltage : my tester glows red but there is not enough voltage to activate the read out. I just checked Blk at switch and have 4 volts.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
If you meter is working correct, I suggest a test at battery, and if ok? then you have a mian power supply problem to switch and motor. Nothing short of, Either bad fuse connection, fuse box problem, no way for me to answer so you have to back up to each side of the fuse and test, If low volts? fuse block issue, if normal 12 volts on both side of fuse? then usnsure but could still be fuse box problem, doubt 2 separate wires from fuse are bad,I have included the wiring diagram
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 12 v at fuse both sides , i have 12 v at switch input but not going to motor. This is why i assumed bad switch so i replaced it with new. An still have same issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When i check red at switch on Hi with an analog meter i get about 4v and on low i get about 4v on green. What wire is the Hi circuit at the motor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still with me?
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
sorry, this is what I am trying to understand, You wrote: Low voltage : my tester glows red but there is not enough voltage to activate the read out. I just checked Blk at switch and have 4 volts.You did not indicate in switch or out, I assumed in, If 12 volts in, 4 volts out? where are you testing right at the switch or at the motor. I am trying to undertsnad all tests you are doing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I just realized that the 12 v in at the switch i was getting is the washer circuit. I believe from the wiring diagram that the black wire at the switch should be a 12 v feed from fuse box and i have nothing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont understand where the 4 volts are coming from.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
12 volts on black wire at switch AND at the motor,. If 4 volts? in switch and.. at motor? BUT you have 12 volts at fuse? this goes back to original answer, fuse box problem. You just cant have 12 volts at the fuse on both sides and 4 volts OUT of the fuse box on 2 black wires without box being bad,Well , that is my thinking anytway.I would change out the wiper fuse, just be sure GOOD contact, Still only 4 volts out to switch and motor on black wires? problem has to originate at the fuse box, No other options
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I agree. I am going to pull the fuse box and check connections. Any tips on getting the fuse nox down. I see one 10mm bolt but with it out the box still feels anchored
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
I do not, and repair information is not in the database, hard not being there and not a job we do everyday,
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.