Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

2014 Highlander following 10,000 oil change strong gas smell

Customer Question

2014 Highlander following 10,000 oil change strong gas smell on outside of vehicle, when parked overnight in closed garage. dealer checked and said vent hose was loose but that did not fix the problem
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
After the repair of the vent hose did they run an evaporative systemes pressure test? Do you have the vehicle identification number available? What is the total miles at this point?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They used a sniffer. just under 10,000 miles
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
The only way you can get fuel smell from the car is if there's a leak in the filler neck the gas cap or fuel tank area. It's possible that the hoses from the fuel tank to the charcoal canister could be leaking also. At this point I would assume that they checked for visible fluid leaks from the fuel tank itself that would be fairly obvious. I would take it back and have them run an evap pressure test to confirm whether or not the system is holding pressure. This is still covered for three years and 36,000 miles.