Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

Toyota Tacoma: Im replacing the AT fluid in my 2011 Tacoma

I'm replacing the AT fluid in my 2011 Tacoma (4WD, 5-speed Automatic), according to the Toyota online service manual. I'm assuming I have the A750F transmission. Old fluid was drained via the drain plug, overflow plug removed. First step is to pump new ATF into the fill hole until fluid starts to dribble out of the overflow hole (which leads to an overflow tube inside the pan). Should take 2-3 quarts (and then the level is adjusted by first running it to the correct temperature). However, when I start pumping new ATF into the fill hole, it IMMEDIATELY starts to pour out of the overflow hole. I don't see how this is possible unless the overflow tube inside the pan is missing. Unless you guys have some insight, I guess the next step is to remove the entire pan and see what's inside. Any ideas?
Hello, thanks for trusting me to help you with your vehicle today. I have over 30 years of Diagnostic experience. I look forward to working with you. Are you getting the transmission fluid temperature up to approximately 110°? If you have an infrared thermometer you can get real close to the oil pan and check the temperature. Is the engine idling in Park when you started adding fluid and it came out the overflow tube. Keep in mind there will be a little trickle coming out the overflow tube when you initially remove the plug.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm not running the engine at all, at this stage. I believe I don't need to do that until I'm ready for the temperature check (which I will do by jumpering a couple of the holes in the OBD2 receptacle).

In order to check the fluid correctly the engine has the idling in Park. Once you fill the transmission initially and fluid started to run out of the over flow hole then you would stop filling. Start the vehicle up and run it through all of the gear selections including reverse. You need to get the transmission up to temperature. If you have the procedure using the jumper wire in the OBD connector and watching the flash pattern that is ideal but if you use an infrared thermometer on the oil pan that will get you in the ballpark. Once you're approximately 100° give or take a few degrees then you would continue to add WS fluid to the filler hole until it trickles out of the overflow hole. At which point you would be finished. If you do not have the engine running while topping off the fluid when it up the temperature you will not get an inaccurate fill.