Chris
Chris, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I am a Master Certified ASE technician. ASE Certs A1-A9 & L1. I have been a general auto repair tech for over 18 years.
75498108

toyota camry: 1998 toyota camry. Alternator replaced 3x, new

1998 toyota camry. Alternator replaced 3x, new battery and still the battery light and ABS light come on...help!
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Chris :

Hello and welcome back to Just Answer. I will try and assist you with your question.

Chris :

Have you check to see what the charging voltage it?

Customer:

no. how do I do that?

Chris :

You will need touse a volt meter at the battery while the car is runnning to see what the voltage is.

Customer:

ok. what should it be?

Chris :

You should see over 13 volts

Customer:

well i will have to buy or borrow one of those. this has been impossible

Chris :

I have stepped out of the office for a minute. When I get back I will give you a few fuses to check in the mean time.

Customer:

ok ty

Chris :

OK in the fuse box under the dash check the IGN fuse and GAUGE fuse.

Chris :

Have you been driving the car ok without the battery dying?

Customer:

yes I have been. I just cant figure it out.

Chris :

OK then it is probably charging ok.

Customer:

trying to get it inspected. my 10day sticker expires on Saturday

Chris :

Did you install the Alternator yourself?

Customer:

my friend installed all 3 of them

Customer:

the auto parts place said they would not exchange it again

Chris :

OK also in the under hood fuse check the AM2 fuse and ALT-S fuse

Chris :

Do your daytime running lights work?

Customer:

i don't know I will check..does it have them?

Chris :

From what I am showing it does.

Chris :

Here is another thing you can check. Turn the ignition switch to on but engine not running. Battery light should be on. Unplug the alternator and see if it goes out.

Customer:

ok we checked fuses they seem ok. it is pouring now so I will have to wait to check other stuff.

Chris :

ok Just let me know how it is going.

Customer:

thank you

Chris :

no problem

Customer:

ok we unplugged the alternator and the battery light went out

Chris :

Ok well that tells us that it is the alternator that is turning the light on and not some other ground. We can test further when you have a volt meter.

Customer:

ok ty

Chris :

No problem

Chris, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: I am a Master Certified ASE technician. ASE Certs A1-A9 & L1. I have been a general auto repair tech for over 18 years.