George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

Toyota 4 Runner: The radiator fluid got into the transmission

The radiator fluid got into the transmission on my 2001 Toyota 4 Runner with about 230,000 miles. I love it and it has never towed anything. I bought it for $5000 amd put $1000 worth of good tires on it. I took it to Cottman Transmission. I installed a new radiator but did not hook up any of the hoses or fittings. The fluid was a milky pink. The dreaded "pink milkshake" that I have read about. The repairman told me the 2 solenoids have fluid in them and will rust. They cost about $500 apiece. He will rebuild the tranny and instal a separate tranny oil cooler. The total price is $3378.82. I have to take out a loan to pay this. My question is can the solenoids be rebuilt? I'm a manufacturing engineer and have experience with solenoids.
Thank you....Bill in Raleigh

Hello I will help you with your question,

Is this a 4x4 or 4x2?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

4x4 George

Have you considered a used transmission?

They are about $800 - $1200 on car-part.com and it takes about 5.5 hours to swap it out so that would be about $2000 to replace yours with a 100 - 120K transmission?

The solenoids do need to be replaced and are not rebuildable so it is the rebuild or a used trans, at least you would be saving $1300 and these transmissions are pretty bulletproof as ling as you don't feed them coolant.

Please let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have had bad experiences with rebuilds George. I'll just bite the bullet and get this repair work done. This transmission repair man is good and I trust him. I'm 67 and don't want to have to fuss with too many things. I do all my own repair work that I can but didn't want to fuss with the transmission. Thank you for your help George. I appreciate it.

Oh do you know how I can get a good service manual for this vehicle?

I bought one once for $29 online but its on my old computer and I can access it..

If you have had a problem with the rebuilds then you should consider the used transmission but I don't think that is what you meant to type?

AllDataDIY or MitchellOnDemand (.com) both offer a 1 year 1 vehicle subscription, for repair information I recommend the AllData, for electrical diagrams I recommend Mitchell.

Please let m e know how I can help you with this

Thank you