Don Knight
Don Knight, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  40+ years all makes and modles

Corolla 1.4 vvti: The engine check light is coming on on my

The engine check light is coming on on my 2001 corolla 1.4 vvti. The code is p1346. I can turn off the light and it will stay off for a week or so. I don't notice anything different about the behaviour of the engine. What could be causing this?
Good morning.There are two possible causes for this code.The most relevant is the timing belt is either stretched or has jumped a couple of teeth.The other is a defective ECM.Since you have a 2001 model i would assume that the timing belt has some slack and has stretched which is causing the timing to be off and setting your code.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Don, thanks for the help. I believe this model has a timing chain which I was led to believe wasn't subject to stretch? There are only 64000 miles on the clock.

I dont have any information on that engine but the still the code is for the timing not being correct between the crankshaft sensor and the cam shaft sensor.Since you dont have any other codes the only possible cause for setting that code is timing or a defective ECM.With the low of millage you may have a problem with one of the guides.I would start by checking the timing chain and the mechanical timing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just reset the light again with an obdii scanner. The code this time was P1345. Is this related to timing also?

I do not show that code for your car.Please recheck,if it is P1335 that is for the crank position sensor.