George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

Hello - have 2003 Toyota Corolla with and error code of 31.

Hello - have 2003 Toyota Corolla with and error code of 31. I think this is the Clockspring Assembly / Spiral Cable that is bad. Correct?

If i change the Clockspring how do i get the error light to go off?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  George H. replied 11 months ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Code 31 for the airbag system is not the clockspring, it is the airbag computer that has a fault. See the procedure below to check this trouble code. If the airbag system checks out during the 6 second self test it runs each time you turn the key on the light will be turned out. If it finds a fault during the self check the light will stay on.

Click here for procedure

Look this over and let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

in the procedure it states "disconnect the connector of the airbag sensor assy center." is this the connector that is accessible when the steering pad is removed?

The "airbag sensor assy center" is the airbag computer. The code 31 points to the computer not the clockspring so you are doing nothing under the steering pad.

The computer is under the center console (click here for procedure)

Let me know how I can help you

Thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

i disconnected the center connector. The diagram looks like IG2 is the second pin but there is only one wire on that row / side and it is on the 3rd pin. So between the pins i get 6.7 Volts. Procedure states i should have 10-14 V. Battery is fully charged and measures 12.5 volts.

The black/orange stripe IG2 is fed from the ignition switch through a splice where the feed wire from the switch changes from a black/white wire to the black orange wire.

You will need to check at the switch and at the splice to see where you are loosing the voltage.

Let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Gotten to dark to proceed. Any chance you will be online tomorrow?

Yes, I will be here all day tomorrow. The connector that the splice is at from the ignition switch to the airbag computer and the instrument cluster for the airbag light is the yellow one on the back of the under dash fuse block at the bottom of the block.

Please let me know how I can help, I will watch for your post on this thread.

Thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

i hoping you come back online... i found a diagnostic SRS for a 2004 Corolla (mine is an 03). am getting codes now (connector wasn't fully seated). per the SRS i am getting "current" trouble code of 31. running the test for past codes i get 13, 17, 18, 31, and 53. I tried clearing the DTC doing the wire on, wire off routine but nothing cleared. HELP

Sorry I was out at lunch,

If a current 31 code does not clear and you have full power at the IG2 pin of the connector then the module needs to be replaced.

Do you have full 12 volts at the pin now that you seated the connector?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes full 12 volts. i wasn't meas 12 v last night as i had the connector transposed for my measurements. i wasn't getting codes this morning since i hadn't reseated the connector well.

how do you feel about junk yard modules? my car is a North American model.

I would go with a module from a car that was not wrecked to get it in the junkyard. Match the part number exactly and you should be good. Car-part.com is a good place to find used parts in your area.

Let me know how I can help

Thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

looks like there is a recall from earlier this year. noise on the harness cables can causes shorts in the internally circuits. looks like i got lucky! will be rating you excellent. the one time i should have taken the car in to the dealer would have saved me many hours. thanks for the help.

Sorry I did not look for the recall, I could have saved you that time.

Please let me know if you have further questions

Thank you

George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech 15+ years