Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, 32 years, diagnostic/repair / electrical specialist
13677702

Toyota Camry: Im trying to replace the ignition cylinder on

Customer Question

I'm trying to replace the ignition cylinder on a 95 Camry. There is a plastic LED lighted surround and I'm wondering whether it has to be removed before the cylinder can be removed.

If I do, much more of the dashboard has to be removed to access it.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Randall C replied 10 months ago.
Hello, I am Randall. I will do my best to answer your question
The key has to be in the accy position to remove it. You depress the relase and slide it out.
I understand the key may come out so, just inset a small screwdriver in the slot, pry to one side slightly, , do the release and pull , it will slide out, The ring around it is light.trim
You only get the silver part out
it will not come out unless in accy position and new one goes back in in accy position
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, 32 years, diagnostic/repair / electrical specialist
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Randall,

Yes, I did give you a rating (positive).

Family income is down so I'm trying to fix the problem myself. I'm finding
that the intermittent failure to start could be many problems like the park
neutral switch, the CRM? maybe even the engine ground cable.
Unfortunately, the parts on this old car as so expensive that I can't
afford to guess on replacing a part, like I thought I would on the ignition
cylinder. So you answered a specific question well; it's just that the
ignition cylinder probably is not the problem.

Thanks, Dan

Youn may want to swap out the starter relay. or swap with another in the under hood fuse box to rule it out. Then? if still no crank? you need to probe the small wire at the starter while holding key in CRANK
if power? likely bad starter. NO power and ignition switch and relay ruled out? then yes, the nuetral safety on the trans
this would be rare but possible
Starter relay is in the under hood box as shown
I will be back online later today if need