Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

toyota corolla: I have a 2006 Toyota corolla that if it sets

I have a 2006 Toyota corolla that if it sets for a short time it will not start unless I lift the breather and spray a small amount of starting fluid in and it starts up and would run all day.could u please help.thanks
Hello, thanks for trusting me to help you with your vehicle today. I have over 30 years of Diagnostic experience. I look forward to working with you. Are you getting any codes set in the computer? Do you have the VIN available?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the mill light is not on no codes.the vin is 2t1br326c59854 the year it was made is 11/05.

Did you check the fuel pressure when the no start condition is occurring?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't have a preasure gage but I removed the fuel line from the fuel sending unit and put a piece of clear hose on it .when I crank the engine there is very little preasure I can hold my thumb over it without any problem.i just installed a new pump in the tank as I was waiting for your reply and I still have the same type of preasure.when the pump starts pushing it is very slow coming up the line too.

Can you recheck the VIN it does not appear to be a good number.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

2t1br32e26c598549 sorry

How many miles are on this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

154366 km

this particular car had issues with the engine control computer and with the fuel pumps. The computer is covered under warranty for 8 years and eighty thousand miles. If you have ruled out the fuel pump this will only leave the computer turning the fuel pump on. It sounds like you're loosing fuel pressure.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is the ground for the pump controlled by the ecm or does it have a ground to the frame.

The computer controls the ground side of the Circuit opening relay. It turns the relay on and supplies 12v through the relay to black wire with a red tracer to the pump.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just checked the wire black with red tracer and it seems to be only getting around 8 volts, I changed relays and is the same.the ecm should be the problem then .

No not the ecm if you are only getting 8 volts. Are you 100% certain on that 8 volt reading?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no it is getting 12v and the ground is good,why after a period of time sitting not running I have to give it a shot of starting fluid to get it started.

If you crack the throttle open without spraying the fluid in the throttle body will it start then?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok just to clarify with your voltmeter on the B/R wire at the pump and the key in the start position there is 12v to the pump and the pump is running and it will not start? Did you put a Toyota pump in this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yup,the new pump has no more preasure than the old one. I am getting a coolant senser #I code now,could this be a problem telling the ecu that the engine is hot all the time.and also the cooling fan seems to be running all the time.

Do you have the code number?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

if you clear this code does it come right back if you try and start vehicle?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

this code means there's an open in the coolant temperature sensor for the engine control computer. This can cause startability issues. It typically will not shut the fuel pump down but I suppose it's possible. What you need to do is check the connector going to the EFI water temperature sensor if it looks fine then you need to replace the sensor or test ir.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I fixed the problem I replaced the sensor and all is good the fan is coming on and off as it chould and the engine starts and runs fin now.

That is good to hear. Please do not forget to rate our exchange at 3 or higher.