Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

4runner: Hello Ron, I have a 2004 4.7 liter Toyota 4Runner.

Hello Ron,

I have a 2004 4.7 liter Toyota 4Runner. Check engine/vehicle stability lights came on weeks ago. I went to auto zone and they said catalyst threshold and recommended fuel cleaner. I have always used premium fuel. Light stayed off for 9 days and came back on. Took to very reliable shop I've used for years. They called back and told me they feel o2 sensors are okay and they feel catalytic converter on passenger side. They indicate terrible design and referred me back to dealership. I have had issues with local dealership. I did find a pacesetter 750050 direct fit manifold with converter. Your thoughts on this replacement please??

Hello, thanks for trusting me to help you with your vehicle today. I have over 30 years of Diagnostic experience. I look forward to working with you. More than likely you're getting a P0 420 code for the efficiency of the bank one catalysts. This catalytic converter from the dealer is very expensive however you could probably save some money if you purchase them from a dealer online and get them at wholesale prices. That being said any aftermarket converter that you purchase is going to be substantially cheaper. They are cheaper for a reason. The chemical makeup and components inside are not near the quality of the factory part. This being said even if you got two or three years out of it you can afford to buy two of them at the price of the cost of the dealer. If it is a direct fit they're not difficult to install. I would make sure that you find out what the warranty is on the aftermarket converter. If you're only looking to get two or three years out of the vehicle this is a good alternative. Fortunately the repair shop is probably accurate in their diagnosis and they're not trying to replace the air fuel ratio sensor or oxygen sensor. A lot of people miss diagnose this code and it's not a sensor related problem. It is strictly a catalytic converter efficiency problem. If you do not require emissions testing in order to pass for your sticker to renew your license plates you could probably disregard the check engine light and continue to drive and save your money. It's only going to affect the emissions and possibly very slightly your fuel mileage but you probably would not notice that. You would just have to do with the check engine light coming on and off.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your response. I do know many on line have indicated my model with the 4.7 liter engine had a higher than normal failure rate with cracked manifolds. I know you can read anything online but many have indicated that the replacement direct fit pieces are better than the original. The only other question I really have is when I look at a breakdown it appears as if there are 3 catalytic converters on this model. When I spoke with my local Toyota parts dept they just provided me with one number 17410-50360 and quoted me $1114 just for the part along with the 3 gaskets. How can there be one part when online I'm seeing multiple or would that part include everything? Should any good repair shop be able to install a direct fit manifold and catalytic converter on the passenger side. Thank You

Your information is reasonably correct. This engine does have issues with manifolds that crack and the exhaust gaskets leak. To change the exhaust manifold on this engine is a very large project. The flat-rate time is about 10 hours. This being said I misspoke previously the passenger bank catalytic converter on this will set a code P0430 which is bank two on this engine. I was thinking in my mind V6 and this is not it is a V-8. This being said the exhaust catalytic converter on that side is pretty much a bolt on repair. The only time it becomes a problem is if you live where rust and corrosion are an issue. In the illustration below the yellow highlighted components are the converters. The one with the red arrow is the passenger side converter. This is the one that you would need to replace if you're getting a P0430 malfunction code.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks so much for everything. Getting ready to rate you excellent. The picture and part you sent is strictly if it's the catalytic converter on passenger side but if cracked manifold on that side that would be almost a 10 hour repair to replace the manifold and cat? I know the pacesetter I found was the manifold and cat combined.

Thanks and have a good evening.

I am not familiar with the particular brand of converter that you referring to but I've never seen a converter and manifold as one piece. It would be extremely difficult to replace that. The labor would be high because the manifolds are extremely difficult to get out of this engine compartment without a lot of work. The 10 hour labor figure is to remove both manifolds. We replaced a lot of these under warranty for the exhaust tick noise when it was cold. You could probably cut that in half if you doing one manifold and one converter. The converter would have to come off in order to replace the manifold if you're replacing a manifold and converter has one assembly because that's how the aftermarket company makes it. You might get away with about five hours in labor. I would have to see the manifold/converter if you had a picture post here.

I just looked that up and it is one piece as you say. If you live where rust and corrosion are an issue this could be quite a project to replace that manifold because the studs and nuts at the cylinder head will be corroded severely. Along with the heat shields and possible oxygen sensor in the manifold. If the oxygen sensor is frozen you will need to soak it with brake cleaner do not force it out or you will damage it. After it sets with brake cleaner on the base of the threads work it back and forth and it will come right out. You might want to consider an aftermarket converter that does not require the exhaust manifold to be removed I'm sure they're made I have looked them up for other customers who cannot afford the Toyota converters. This will keep you from replacing the exhaust manifold unless you wanted to do that because yours is cracked. This will keep you very limited for future replacement if the converter fails you will be forced to replace the exhaust manifold again. The labor could get very high considering the cost of a new Toyota converter.