Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, 32 years, diagnostic/repair / electrical specialist
13677702

forerunner: . Hello I have a 1993 Toyota forerunner. 3.0 I

.
Hello I have a 1993 Toyota forerunner. 3.0 I was inspecting the timing belt and noticed I have slack in the timing belt between the cam pulleys and the water neck / idler pulley. Its an equal amount on both sides, belt tension seems normal in all other areas. I can spin the upper pulley with my fingers. All others can't be moved.
Hello, I am Randall. I will do my best to answer your question
Having trouble finding a good picture, you mean the idelr pulley between cams you can spin by hand as belt is not tight there

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The belt looks to be in pretty good condition. I can spin the pulley with very little drag from the belt. the belt has about 3/8" flex when I deflect it on either side of the Idler pulley that is in between the cams. I think were on the same page.

Engine running ok?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yea it has 250k on it I was just looking it over before winter. Its a friends vehicle and i'm not 100% familiar with it. It drove like a 3.0 with 250,000 miles on it. Has good idle and ok response, I believe it was pretty well maintained by a previous owner. I was just wondering if one of the cam pins may have sheered off and caused the slack.

Not likley. What likey has happened is the auto tensioner has either reached the end of it's travel do to the belt beeing stretched over time even if it looks good or the auto tenisoner bad
it would NOT run if a pin sheared or cam out of time more than 1 tooth
You should NOT have that slack and, NOT be able to turn a pulley like that
I really feel you have a timing belt problem and it needs to be changed, sooner than later as this is not normal by any means. The pulley should not turn by hand.
Sounds like belt has stretched just enough that the tensioner is at max travel and can not tighten belt anymore
At some point it WILL jump teeth and do possible internal engine damage
I am being right up front with this. It is not normal and a problem resides at some point
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I agree with you completely on how it can turn into a bad thing quick. I didn't think it was right by looking at it. I believe it has a hydraulic tensioner. I havnt looked at it yet. I'm not familiar with Toyotas but it seemed obvious to me. I appreciate the Information. I'll put that on my list for this project. Thanks , Jack

Hydraulic tensioner and yes,, sounds fully extended and belt has stretched. GHope it goes ok for you