Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...

Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Toyota Mechanic
Experience:  Heavy Line Mech-, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years. R/S, etc.
1609972

Truck: I would like to install a horn switch kit on my 1989

I would like to install a horn switch kit on my 1989 Toyota 4wd pickup. I have the kit (HS-2). I know the horn works bc it will sound when the wheel is turned upside down. I would like to avoid the steering wheel assembly and have this auxiliary button. Can you tell me how to install this button?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 10 months ago.

.sorry for the delay..........

.
Greetings...... "Hi, I'm Don (aka MOLurch) and I look forward to helping you!"
.
Find the GREEN / RED (-) wire located at the Steering Column Harness inside the cab
IF you do NOT want the Factory Horn Switch to work:
Cut the GREEN / RED (-) wire in half
Connect the cut half that does NOT go to Factory Horn Switch to the New Switch
Ground the other side of the New Horn Switch

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions.
.
Kindly rate me when you are done.
.
.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi- I was able to get down to seeing all the wires- is it the predominately green wire with the red strip that I snip?

Do I just screw the button onto the dash somewhere? or the center of the wheel?

And what do I ground it to? any piece of metal on the truck?

Sorry- this is my daughter's truck to go back and forth to school and activities... I don't have any mechanics but you handy at the moment.

.

GREEN with RED stripe
Briefly "ground" the GREEN / RED wire to test to see if the Horn honks

.

Mount the New Switch where it is comfortable for you.

.

Ground the other wire to metal that is connected to the frame of the vehicle
Most under dash metal will be ground -

.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok- about to go cut that green one

that appears to be it....test prior to cutting

should be able to insert one end of a piece of wire into the plug that the wire goes into & ground the other end of the piece of wire to hear horn

did you need further?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Got it! Thanks so much!,,,,

BEEP BEEP

.

.
Kindly rate me when you are done.
.
.

Don 'Mo Lurch', Toyota Mechanic
Experience: Heavy Line Mech-, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years. R/S, etc.
Hello again Lurch here.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about.

If I have helped, please RATE my answer

I would appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

If you have already rated my answer, then Thanks alot.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.

If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.