AMD
AMD, Toyota Certified
Experience:  Master Automobile Technician L1 Advanced Level Specialist

toyota highlander: please help!!!!!! my toyota highlander

please help!!!!!! my toyota highlander rear window is down and work go back up the switch is bad. I need the car at 6am and it's going to be raining. How do I get it up manually. I have the inside of door completely removed by cant budge the window.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  AMD replied 9 months ago.

AMD :

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your Toyota question, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

AMD :

Are you available to discuss your question at this time?

AMD :

If I may ask, when you try to operate the window, do you hear the motor working in the door if you listen closely or you hear no noise at all from the door when you operate the window switch?

Customer:

the window switch is disconnected because its broken

AMD :

OK Let me pull my diagram and we will get the window up. If I may ask, is the switch physically broken? can you explain further about the switch being broken?

Customer:

My daughter said it quit working today. I removed panel to investigate thinking a loose switch.

AMD :

And how do you know the switch is broken? I am sorry but there's another common issue with these windows that is not the switch or the motor that's why I'm asking

Customer:

My only reason is all other windows work, she said it the left real window rolled down from the master driver side switch. But now it work go up with master switch. Nor will it go down or up the the left rear switch. I have unplugged and plugged the rear window switch in numerous times. I have also wiggled it while someone tried the master numerous times. Nothing has worked. I just want to get the window up

AMD :

OK I See. If I may ask, when you operate the window by the switch with the engine running, do you hear the motor running or no?

AMD :

ALso can you remove the door panel again or at least the switch and do you have 2 pieces of wire so we can get the window up for now?

Customer:

i tested the window with the master side switch with the engine running. the window went all the way down and will not go back up. so the motor works. i have two pieces of wire.

AMD :

OK When you say left rear you mean driver's side rear correct?

AMD :

I just want to verify

Customer:

sorry it the right (passenger) rear window

AMD :

OK Remove the switch and expose the switch connector I want you to locate 4 wires. You have to be precise about these wires, if you get the wrong wires you will fry the body control ecu. So be careful

AMD :

let me get you the wire colors and what to do

AMD :

Locate the following wires
1- Red wire
2- Blue wire with a white tracer
3- ONLY green wire
4- White wire with a black tracer.

AMD :

Be careful as there's another green wire with a tracer. Make sure you find the correct wires. when you do start the engine and place a jumper wire between the following wires:
blue wire with a white tracer jumper this one to the red wire

AMD :

then jump the white wire with a black tracer to the green wire.

AMD :

when you do this the motor should run, if the motor just hums and the window doesn't move then reverse the jumper like this
blue wire with a white tracer jumper this one to the green and the white wire with a black tracer to the green wire.

AMD :

Once the window reaches all the way up you are all set with closing the window.

AMD :

Can you try this now and I will wait to make sure it works?

Customer:

I understand the first option. Just to make sure I understand the reverse option, The red wire is not involved, right??.

AMD :

OK let me explain it better

AMD :

The red and green wires go to the motor.

AMD :

The white wire with a black tracer is ground and the blue wire with a white tracer is power.

AMD :

you want to apply power and ground to the motor. if the motor spins in the direction to bring the window down then you need to flip the power and ground to the motor to make the window go up.

AMD :

Does this make sense better?

Customer:

yes it does. It's just that you mentioned green wire twice in your reverse option description --- "blue wire with a white tracer jumper this one to the green and the white wire with a black tracer to the green wire."

AMD :

OK My mistake. I'm sorry about that.

AMD :

can you try this at this time?

Customer:

im going to try now will let u know

AMD :

OK I will wait here.

Customer:

Yeah!!! The reverse option worked. Any idea what's wrong?

AMD :

Well it might be a switch issue but we need to test it using a multimeter, do you have one handy?

Customer:

no - it's getting late so I guess I'll just put the door together and leave the switch disconnected until we figure out what's wrong.

AMD :

OK We will need a multimeter to figure this one out, get one and you may get back to me at a later date. Did you have any other questions for me today?

Customer:

no - thanks for your help.

AMD :

You're welcome. A positive rating for my input would be greatly appreciated.

AMD :

Thank you for choosing justanswer.com

AMD :

Thank you for rating!

AMD, Toyota Certified
Experience: Master Automobile Technician L1 Advanced Level Specialist
Expert:  AMD replied 9 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.