AMD
AMD, Toyota Certified
Experience:  Master Automobile Technician L1 Advanced Level Specialist

toyota: is the extended portion past the retaining on the

is the extended portion past the retaining nut on the front axle different from right side to left side this is for a 2009 Toyota Corolla. I took it off wrongly and got new ones one side is 1/2 in extended past the retaining nut the other side is 3/4"? is this an indication of something else, it is torqued down good
Category: Toyota
Expert:  AMD replied 9 months ago.

AMD :

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your Toyota question, My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be assisting you today.

AMD :

Are you available to discuss your question at this time?

Customer:

yes

AMD :

Hello! How are you doing today?

Customer:

good and tired

AMD :

If I may ask, Did you remove the axle out of the hub or just took the axle nut off and reinstalled?

Customer:

took the nut off mistaking it was needed to be removed to take the rotors off got new ones on now what a job removing them did not touch axle

AMD :

OK The axle nut has a little indentation in it as a lock to the axle nut, Did you punch that out before you took the nut out? I mean how are the threads on the axle?

Customer:

they were good, I put the new nuts on very tight

AMD :

OK Very tight is not going to do it. The axles do have different lengths but you need to torque it down to specification, Do you have a torque wrench?

Customer:

no, I guessed at about 140 lbs

Customer:

the car runs ok no shimmy, or drag no sound just a concern of the different lengh

AMD :

Different length is not an issue However I would torque it down to 158 which is the spec then make SURE you stake the nut like it was, Do you know what i mean by staking the nut?

Customer:

yes i didnt want to do it in case they had to come off for some reason as long as one side is 1/2" and the othe 3/4" pas the nut is ok I'll stake it

AMD :

OK You're good to go on staking it then. One more thing

AMD :

There's a new limited service campaign on your vehicle to reflash the computer, Did you get that done? Do you need me to check for you if it applies to your car and check for open recalls while we are here?

Customer:

sure

AMD :

May I have the VIN no. of your vehicle?

Customer:

one minute

AMD :

OK take your time

Customer:

2t1bu40e99c105414

AMD :

Sorry this is a Canadian vehicle so not much information showed up on my end, but I don't see open recalls on your vehicle at this time. A phone call to a Canadian toyota dealership will get you the limited time campaign information because things vary from the canadian market and the US market.

AMD :

Did you have any other questions for me today?

Customer:

No, thanks a lot saved a trip to the dealership, You done good

AMD :

You're welcome! A positive rating for my input would be greatly appreciated.

AMD :

Thank you for choosing justanswer.com

AMD, Toyota Certified
Experience: Master Automobile Technician L1 Advanced Level Specialist