AMD
AMD, Toyota Certified
Experience:  Master Automobile Technician L1 Advanced Level Specialist
65953032

Toyota Tundra: Hi. I have a 08 Toyota Tundra 5.7XXXXX

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 08 Toyota Tundra 5.7XXXXXwith 97000 miles on it. Never had any kind of problem since I bought it with 30k in 2009.
today, I was driving home and the ABS light came on, and the "VSC off" light was flashing along with the slip indicator light on.
Do you know what this means? The only thing the manual says is to contact your toyota dealer. Really don't want to do that if possible.

XXXXX XXXXXon
Category: Toyota
Expert:  AMD replied 1 year ago.

AMD :

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your Toyota question, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

AMD :

Are you available to discuss your question at this time?

AMD :

If I may ask, is the check engine light on as well?

Customer: Yes, available. No, check engine light is not on.
AMD :

Hello! How are you doing today?

Customer: good thanks
AMD :

Wonderful! Thank you for getting back to me.

AMD :

Let me explain what the lights mean.

AMD :

First the main issue that we have here is the ABS light not the other lights. The VSC Off and the slip indicator lights being on only means that these systems has been disabled.

AMD :

the reason they are disabled is because the on board computer found an issue with the ABS system so by default it disables these 2 systems because they are all dependent on the ABS system

AMD :

Now the ABS system having an issue doesn't mean that the brakes are no good or anything, it simply means that the anti lock function of the brakes is not working at this time.

AMD :

The reason the manual says to contact the dealership is because when the light comes on we have trouble codes stored in the memory. beginning the diagnosis will be by getting these codes to see what the computer is seeing wrong.

AMD :

I cannot really predict the issue with the car as the abs system has a lot of components and i can tell you that one of them is malfunctioning.

AMD :

Typically the issues with the ABS system is wheel speed sensors, but again without the codes we wouldn't know if this is true and we wouldn't know which wheel speed sensor out of 4

AMD :

Sometimes the issue is a simple sensor malfunction and sometimes it's a major component failure like the abs actuator and computer.

AMD :

Any questions so far before we talk about what are your options?

Customer: No. Just what to do; and can I take it to a trusted mechanic, instead of the dealership.
AMD :

Let me discuss this in details.

AMD :

There are 2 ways to get the codes from the ABS system, one of them is at the dealership using a toyota scan tool which communicates with the vehicle's computer and gets the codes. Another way is using a professional grade scan tool which is universal and works on most makes and models. So to answer your question Yes absolutely! You can take it to a trusted mechanic as long as they have the equipment needed to scan the ABS system for codes. What I do suggest however you do is purchase original parts. We have seen all kinds of issues following a repair using non original parts so I highly suggest you buy the parts original. If your mechanic is a friend and you can negotiate with them there's a website called www.toyotapartszone.com which you can purchase original parts at a discounted price so you won't have to pay dealership high prices for parts.

AMD :

Did you have any other questions for me today?

Customer: No. that is very helpful, thanks!
AMD :

You're welcome! A positive rating for my input would be greatly appreciated.

AMD :

thank you for choosing justanswer.com

Customer: Will do.
AMD :

Thank you

Customer: OK, bye.
AMD :

Have a wonderful day!

AMD, Toyota Certified
Experience: Master Automobile Technician L1 Advanced Level Specialist