AMD
AMD, Toyota Certified
Experience:  Master Automobile Technician L1 Advanced Level Specialist
65953032

Toyota Supra: my car wont start. what is wrong?

Customer Question

my car won't start. what is wrong?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  AMD replied 11 months ago.

AMD :

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your Toyota question, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

AMD :

Are you available to discuss your question at this time?

AMD :

If I may ask, is this a turbo or a non turbo supra?

Customer:

This is a non turbo supra.

AMD :

OK I See. If I May ask, when you say it doesn't start, do you mean it cranks but doesn't start? or doesn't crank at all?

Customer:

It cranks but it doesn't start.

AMD :

OK Did you check for spark?

Customer:

I haven't check for spark but I checked the pressure from the cylinder. The sparkplugs are new and the sparkplug wire.

AMD :

OK can you check for spark? Also can you try to crank the engine then remove one of the spark plugs and see if it's wet? ALso can you see if the check engine light comes on when you turn the key to the on position?

Customer:

All the lights work. there was a leak inside the first cylinder, but I'd clean it out with a cloth.

AMD :

What do you mean a leak in the first cylinder?

Customer:

there was oil in the first sparkplug cylinder.

AMD :

OK That is the valve cover gasket leaking. Can you check for spark?

AMD :

Also make SURE that the check engine light comes on when you turn the key to the on position

Customer:

check engine light on.

AMD :

OK Thank you. can you check for spark?

Customer:

no spark coming from first spark plug.

AMD :

How did you check?

Customer:

I took out the sparkplug wire and connect it with a brand new spare spark plug then cranked it. No spark coming spark plug.

AMD :

OK, let's try it using a different method if that's OK

Customer:

what other way?

AMD :

Use a screw driver, put the screw driver in the spark plug wire where the spark plug goes then put that screw driver close to the valve cover very close but not touching it. then see if you have spark jumping from the screw driver to the valve cover

Customer:

does it need to be a four head or flat head screw driver?

AMD :

Doesn't matter as long as it fits inside the boot of the spark plug wire

Customer:

ok, i'm on it.

AMD :

Thank you

Customer:

no spark

AMD :

OK Remove the distributor cap, inspect the rotor and the cap internally, also inspect the inside of the distributor, does it look wet?

AMD :

Inspect the rotor and cap for wear.

Customer:

I just replace the rotor cap button today.

AMD :

OK Was the distributor wet?

AMD :

I mean did it have signs of oil inside?

AMD :

Also i want you try something here. Try to move the wires going to the distributor then try to crank the engine.

AMD :

see if it starts

AMD :

Common for these things to have bad connections for the wires going to the distributor which would cause an intermittent no start

Customer:

yeah it did. well let me start from the beginning it might help to understand the whole situation. I was driving to work and the car was sputtering, then i heard a snap. a hose behind the valve cover busted. I replace the hose and i notice the hose connecting to the fuel pressure regulator was cracked and I replaced it too.

Customer:

ok i'm on it.

AMD :

Can you explain exactly which hose busted?

AMD :

I am extremely familiar with the engine that you have in your car because apart from being a toyota mechanic I am actually a big fan of your model supra and have collected a few in my time

Customer:

it was a small hose it look like an L upside down

AMD :

Does it go from the block to the side of the valve cover by the manifold and the valve cover?

Customer:

yeah, and when it blew up there was oil leaking

AMD :

OK There shouldn't be oil leaking there because that's a PCV hose like a ventilation hose but that's another issue but it will cause a massive vacuum leak.

AMD :

Anyhow, what was the other hose that you replaced? you said for the pressure regulator?

Customer:

I'm sorry it wasn't the fuel regulator. It was the hose from the fuel line connecting to the big black circle looking thing right beside the air intake.

AMD :

So when the hose popped the car stopped running?

Customer:

yes sir. the motor automatically shut off on it's own.

AMD :

OK Are you sure you connected the hose correctly? It can be a bit tricky to connect it at the bottom

Customer:

oh, I wasn't sure where the hose on the bottom of the black circle connected.

AMD :

So where did you connect the the hose at the bottom?

Customer:

I connected it to the air intake

Customer:

but I took it off. cause I wasn't sure

AMD :

Hold on give me a moment let me try to get you a picture of where that hose connects

Customer:

ok

AMD :

Is this the hose that blew off?

Customer:

no it's behind the motor not in front. it looks like the letter L but upside down. It's a short hose.

AMD :

Does it connect both valve covers to the intake hose?

Customer:

no it connects from the block to the valve cover. It's behind the valve cover.

AMD :

Can you take a picture of it? I don't recall this hose

AMD :

Wait, is it an egr hose?

Customer:

I think that's wat it is. short and fat hose.

AMD :

You mean an EGR hose?

Customer:

yeah

AMD :

Let me get you a picture to make sure hold on

Customer:

ok

Customer:

the image is not found

AMD :

Do you see it now?

Customer:

no it says not found

AMD :

Can you see it now?

Customer:

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v1/583578795/Intercooler-hoses-for-font-b-Toyota-b-font-font-b-Supra-b-font-JZA80-VVTi-3.jpg

Full Size Image

Customer:

it look like the 2 hose on the left side

AMD :

OK Not clicking here, Can you take a picture of the area in the engine where the hose is?

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

ok it look more like this one

AMD :

I really need a live picture from the car

Customer:

will I have to go to work now. And I appreciate your help. I don't know how to load pix from phones on here, but if you look at the bak of the motor it's in a tight spot. there is a long hose on top of it connecting to the regulator and I'm talking bout the hose on the bottom it's a shorter hose.

AMD, Toyota Certified
Experience: Master Automobile Technician L1 Advanced Level Specialist