AMD
AMD, Toyota Certified
Experience:  Master Automobile Technician L1 Advanced Level Specialist
65953032

Tacoma: Hi, I have a 98 Tacoma. The climate control knob is

Hi, I have a 98 Tacoma. The climate control knob is hard to turn and skips. I traced the cables. The blend door moves fine when disconnected from the cable and the heater valve on the firewall works fine when disconnected from the cable. Does that mean the cables are binding somewhere? If so can they be fixed?
Thanks!

Jordan

AMD :

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your Toyota question, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

AMD :

Are you available to discuss your question at this time?

AMD :

If I may ask, which know is not moving properly? the blend knob?

Customer:

Yes. The one that controls hot/cold

AMD :

OK There are 2 possibilities here, It's either going to be the control panel itself or the cable. If I may ask, did you try to move the heater valve? does it move normally by hand?

Customer:

Yes it moves easily by hand

AMD :

OK Then remove the control panel, disconnect the cable from the control panel and connect all cables on the blend door and the water valve, then push and pull on the cable for the blend door and the water valve see if they move

AMD :

if one or both don't move then we need new cables, if they both move properly then we need a new control panel. Give me your VIN no. so I can give you part numbers for each of the cables and the control panel so you can shop online and find good prices

Customer:

4TAWN72N7WZ079115

AMD :

OK give me a few moments.

AMD :

The part number for the control assembly is 55910-35120 and it retails for around 120 dollars you can find it for around 95 on the internet. The blend cable's part number is XXXXX and it's around 15 dollars. the water valve cable's part number is XXXXX and it's also 15 dollars.

AMD :

You can buy these parts from www.toyotapartszone.com after you know what you need exactly

AMD :

Did you have any other questions for me today?

Customer:

Can you describe how to disconnect the cables from the control panel?

AMD :

Well once you remove the control panel from the dash you can disassemble the unit and disconnect the cable, some of them just sit there and some of them has like an sharp S shape to connect them to little arms inside the unit.

AMD :

To be honest most likely you will have a faulty control panel here, but check the cables so you can buy what you need one time.

AMD :

Customer:

No I think that takes care of it. Thank you

AMD :

You're welcome. A positive rating for my input would be greatly appreciated.

AMD :

thank you for choosing justanswer.com