AMD
AMD, Toyota Certified
Experience:  Master Automobile Technician L1 Advanced Level Specialist
65953032

Lexus RX 399 SUV: 1999 Lexus rx 300 Front Passenger floor covered

1999 Lexus rx 300 Front Passenger floor covered with water
Category: Toyota
Expert:  AMD replied 1 year ago.

AMD :

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your Toyota question, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

AMD :

Are you available to discuss your question at this time?

AMD :

If I may ask, have the front windshield ever been replaced?

Customer:

The front window, to my knowledge has not been replaced.

AMD :

Hello!

AMD :

Can you read the writing on the lower corners of the glass? it will have writings on it, can you check it and let me know what it says?

Customer:

I cannot check it as it in at the Shell Gas Station being dried out. The floor mat has been removed and the floor carpet has been pulled back by the mechanic in an attempt to first dry out the carpet. The mechani9c does not know what the problem is - yet!

AMD :

OK There are 2 things that could cause this

AMD :

Either the windshield was replaced and the seal is leaking which is super common because that is a tricky windshield to replace

AMD :

we see this all the time and typically you will see that the writing on the window will be different than the side windows.

AMD :

Do the floors get wet when you use the a\c?

Customer:

What is the other thing?

AMD :

The other thing would be the a\c box leaking

Customer:

I've had this car since 1999 and this water leakage just started to happen about 2 weeks ago. At first, I thought some had spilled a bottle of water.

AMD :

OK I See. If you are sure the windshield was not replaced then we will assume that is not the issue for now. Are you using the a\c when this issue happens?

Customer:

so you say, 1.) it is the windshield leaking? or 2.) it is the ac leaking? to the question of using the a/c when this happens. not sure about that. maybe used the a/c to clear windows - maybe?

AMD :

OK If that is the case then have your mechanic try the following

AMD :

first have them locate the a\c drain hose which is underneath the vehicle on the passenger front side

AMD :

have them blow air through that hose to see if you have a large amount of water coming out indicating a blockage

AMD :

a blockage in the a\c drain would cause the a\c box to overflow and that would cause the carpet on the passenger floor to be wet.

AMD :

this is super common and due to the age of the vehicle a lot of debris accumulate inside the a\c box and block the a\c drain.

AMD :

blowing air through it would open it and the water stuck inside the box would drain.

AMD :

then since they have the carpet pulled have them trace that hose inside the vehicle and make sure it's plugged in.

AMD :

then have them start the car and turn the a\c on and make sure that the a\c box is now leaking onto the carpet which is also common if the drain hose is detached.

Customer:

The station is closed now but will take you info up to the mechanic and see what he has to say or give him some directions as to what to check. If the windshield number does not check with the other window numbers, it may be the windshield. but if not, what is he to look for in the a/c unit?

AMD :

also have them verify that the a\c drain hose is dripping when the a\c has been on for about 10-15 minutes to make sure that nothing is clogged.

AMD :

That is correct.

AMD :

Have them make sure of the windshield because if that has been replaced then I would start by resealing it or at least focusing on that area to verify the area of the leak from the windshield.

AMD :

if the windshield is original then check the a\c unit. if that checks out then get back to the windshield and at this point we will need to partially remove the dash then spray water on the car with a hose to see if your mechanic can spot the area water is comming into the vehicle from.

AMD :

Did you have any other questions for me at this time?

Customer:

OK. I will do all of that the first thing in the morning. If you think of anything else please get back in touch with me. Also, I will get back with you after I talk to the mechanic. Further, my wife and I will be going to Wenatchee for the week end. we will be taking our Hondo Civix LX.

Customer:

At this time, I have no other questions.

AMD :

Let me know how it goes and I will also let me know if I wanted to add anything extra to check. but let's start with the windshield test and the a\c box test.

AMD :

A positive rating for my input would be greatly appreciated.

AMD :

Thank you for choosing justanswer.com

Customer:

I just talked to my wife, she does the driving and she said that we could have had the a/c on some time going to Portland, Or and then on the return trip. On the past driving, a week to two weeks ago, we may have been using the A/C to clear up the windows.

AMD :

OK Then that makes the theory of the a\c drain being clogged and the water accumulating in the a\c box more likely. The no.1 symptom of the a\c drain being clogged is an extreme amount of water on the passenger front carpet just like you have

AMD :

This is not really a big deal to fix, it just takes two seconds to drain the a\c box and clear the drain hose then dry up the carpet and you're all set.

AMD :

Did you have any other questions for me?

Customer:

Yes, I do have a few questions starting with: "(1.) How many hours should the 99 Lexus dry out, (2.) How many hours do you thing it will take to fix said problem (3.) How much do you think it will cost? (4) What is the average mechanics rate per hour"

AMD :

OK Let me cover your questions in details

AMD :

Regarding the how many hours should your car take to dry out, with the windows open and the doors open and possibly a fan running onto the interior parts that are wet I would say leaving the car overnight to dry is enough to dry it out. So give or take around 12 hours of the car sitting.

AMD :

The cost for that is not really going to be high because they need to locate the source and if the source is the a\c drain being clogged then I would say around 1-2 hours of labor to set the car to dry and leave it over night, the mechanic will not charge you time for the car sitting to dry of course!~

AMD :

I would say the cost shouldn't be more than 200 dollars unless parts need to be replaced which is not likely to be the case.

AMD :

A typical dealership will charge from 100-120 dollars per hour on average. an independent mechanic will charge on average 70-90 dollars.

AMD :

Did you have any other questions fo rme?

Customer:

Yes. 1.) How long do we try to dry the floors and mats out? 2.) If it is the A/C overflow, what is the average time to fix it? and 3.) What is the average per hour Mechanic per hour cost to fix same?

AMD :

Try to dry the floors and mats for 12 hours, basically have a fan running onto the area that is wet and leave it over night for 12 hours.

AMD :

The average time to fix it is a few minutes to open the drain and then around an hour to dry as much as possible by hand

AMD :

Then it costs around 70-90 dollars on average per hour.

AMD :

Did you have any other questions for me today?

Customer:

DEAR AMD OFFLINE(?),

Customer:

WHOOPS! ANYHOO, I CANNOT RATE YOUR ADVICE AT THIS MOMENT AS MY 1999 LEXUS RX 300 IS STILL BEING WORKED ON. AS I SPEAK, THE CAR IS IN "THEIR" SHOP BEING DRIED OUT AS THEY REMOVED ALL OF THE CARPETING. THEY STILL HAVEN'T TOLD ME WHAT WENT WRONG. I WAS INFORMED AT THE TIME I TURNED THE CAR OVER THAT THE PRICE TO FIX SAME WOULD BE $270.00 (?). THE TIME NOW IS 12:50 AM SEPT 30.

AMD :

I am online now.

AMD :

I think the 270 dollar charge is acceptable given that they dry the carpet completely and fix the drain issue

AMD, Toyota Certified
Experience: Master Automobile Technician L1 Advanced Level Specialist