Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in the automotive service industry.
29534642

toyota corolla: 2001 Toyota corolla needs catalytic converter,

2001 Toyota corolla needs catalytic converter, trans fl replacement, sparks. Has an internal oil leak undiagnosed.
$3000.

170,000 miles.

Repair or get another vehicle?

Edward :

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do all I can to help. In that situation, with 170,000 miles, and the problems you stated, I would not suggest putting 3,000$ into that car. As I feel that is top dollar retail for a private party buyer.

Edward :

Also, you haven't even got the internal oil leak diganosed yet, That could be another hefty bill.

Customer:

ok I appreciate that. recommend a good used make and model?

Edward :

and with 170,000 miles on it, I would really have to think about spending that kind of money on that car. and I usually am one to suggest driving it until the wheels fall off.

Customer:

can I continue driving it for a few months til I get another vehicle?

Edward :

If it was absolutely flawless, with new tires, I mean excellent shape, with no dents, new tires, and flawless interior, that may sway my decision some. But, If it's in average shape, it's probably time to trade it.

Edward :

As long as it doesn't overheat, and it has oil pressure, and the engine oil isn't milky and doesn't look like a milkshake, then yes, you should be able to drive it.

Customer:

recommend used model make?

Edward :

Hard to go wrong with a Honda Accord. I like Altima's as well, my brother has one with nearly 300,000 miles on it and it just keeps going and going.

Edward :

Toyota makes a great car too, but, like anything, start getting close to 200,000 miles and things will go wrong.

Customer:

great thanks a lot. no more questions.

Edward :

Absolutely, Check KBB.com before buying anything to get the real value.

Customer:

thanks

Edward :

Alright, Thank you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer:

ok