AMD
AMD, Toyota Certified
Experience:  Master Automobile Technician L1 Advanced Level Specialist

I have a 2005 Matrix with 278,000 miles on it. Lately, after

I have a 2005 Matrix with 278,000 miles on it. Lately, after reversing and then shifting to drive, it will stall. It also can make a loud metallic click when going into drive. And in this same period, it has had a few episodes of not starting when I turn the key over - it just sort of whirs really loudly and I turn the key off and wait, then it will start eventually. When it failed to start, it also felt like the brake was very hard to push. I'm wondering if there's some electrical transmission issues going on here? But not sure about the starting part.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  AMD replied 10 months ago.

AMD :

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your Toyota question, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

AMD :

Are you available to discuss your question at this time?

Customer:

For a little while

AMD :

Hello! How are you doing today?

Customer:

fine thanks, you?

AMD :

I'm doing wonderful, Thank you. May I have the VIN no. of the vehicle? also are there any warning lights on?

Customer:

hang on for the VIN

AMD :

OK Take your time.

Customer:

2T1LR32E45C443388

Customer:

I've owned since new

Customer:

2005

AMD :

OK I See, When was the last time the throttle body was replaced?

AMD :

Sorry the throttle body cleaned not replaced

Customer:

not sure

Customer:

maybe never

Customer:

highway miles; not a lot of major work

AMD :

OK I would start by cleaning the throttle body as a starting point, this will help the stalling condition.

Customer:

loud click?

AMD :

Regarding the knock when you go into drive, I would have to see the vehicle to hear the noise in person to diagnose it more accurately. but if I would say anything from the symptoms it would be engine and transmission mounts, That would be the first think you would want to check. Basically with the hood open have some one change the shift while you listen and look at the mounts and see which one is making the noise.

AMD :

Regarding the starting issue

AMD :

I would also need to hear the noise but if anything I would think the starter is the issue here.

AMD :

Any good mechanic will listen to the noise and need to tell you immediately if it's the starter drive not engaging properly

AMD :

Again according to the description of the issue, it sounds to me like a bad starter.

AMD :

Concerning the brake being hard to push, Was that when the car was running or off?

Customer:

it was off

Customer:

it felt different than usual starting situation though

Customer:

this was only when the non starting was happening

Customer:

wondering if there's some electrical issues here somehow?

Customer:

what about flushing tranny fluid?

Customer:

its been over 100k since done

AMD :

That is normal then. If you go to any car while it's off, and you pump the brake pedal a couple of times or hold the brake pedal down, it will get hard like that. Because the brakes need the engine to be running for the power brakes to work, if the engine is off it only has a small reserve and once that runs out it will get hard

Customer:

ok on brakes; understood; makes sense

AMD :

Regarding the transmission fluid, At this high mileage I would check the fluid first, if it looks dark just leave it alone

Customer:

why?

AMD :

If it don't look too dark then flush the transmission fluid although if I were you I wouldn't do anything with the transmission fluid

AMD :

let me explain why

AMD :

Transmissions are kind of special when it comes to fluid. Basically and this applies to every transmission with a lot of miles. If the fluid was not replaced regularly which in your case should've been every 30,000 miles replacing the fluid might actually make things worse for the transmission even to a level where it wouldn't shift at all.

Customer:

well, i didn't do it regularly for sure

AMD :

The reason for this is the clutches inside are breaking down at this high mileage, what is holding them together is debris or dirt in the fluid, you replace the fluid, all this is gone and now the new fluid will have a new detergent to clean which will eat the clutches and now the transmission shifts bad for real.

Customer:

a local shop checked it out recently and had replaced some electric sensor thing, but said that i might want to change the fluid if the stalling continued . . . didn't sound connected to me though

AMD :

What did they base their sensor replacing on? Was there a check engine light on at that time? and is there a check engine light on now?

Customer:

so just top off tranny fluid and leave it at that eh?

Customer:

no check engine now. if it ever comes on, it's always been some sort of gas cap related issue

AMD :

If this was my car, I would just top it off if it's low and leave it alone, At 278,000 miles this transmission has done more a perfect job getting you so far without issues.

Customer:

no light was on for the electric sensor

Customer:

they just told me that they detected some sensor problem and replaced it; said it was due to the car getting old

Customer:

they said tranny flush might fix the stalling

AMD :

Hmm, Then I see no reason for the shop to replace anything. What I would do is have them clean the throttle body really well and see how that goes.

Customer:

ok, sounds good. I think we've covered it all:

AMD :

Alright! Any other questions for me today?

Customer:

throttle body clean / check out the starter / maybe the engine and tranny mounts

AMD :

Correct.

AMD :

A positive rating for my input would be greatly appreciated.

AMD :

Thank you for choosing justanswer.com

Customer:

will give it a shot; thanks

AMD :

You're welcome :-)

Customer:

will i get this transcript?

Customer:

for the chat?

AMD :

Not really, but you have three ways of getting it, You can copy paste it to your computer or you can bookmark this page and get back to it, or I can make a copy of it for you and give you a link to download it, Would you like that?

Customer:

yes, thanks!

AMD :

OK Give me a few moments.

Customer:

thanks again

AMD :

Click HERE to access the file

AMD :

Did you have any other questions for me today?

Customer:

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX:

Customer:

you learned nothing from my VIN since I owned it, right?

AMD :

Yes go ahead.

Customer:

no recalls or anything?

AMD :

I checked the VIN and I am not showing any open recalls, You might read about an engine control module recall but I am not showing anything on your VIN.

Customer:

ok, muchas gracias

Customer:

all set

AMD :

You're welcome!

AMD :

AMD :

Thank you for choosing justanswer.com

AMD, Toyota Certified
Experience: Master Automobile Technician L1 Advanced Level Specialist