Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

avalon: i have a 2001 avalon. problem is the outside temp display

i have a 2001 avalon. problem is the outside temp display on dash is way off. was wondering if this reading has anything to do with the climate control hvac
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 10 months ago.
Hello, thanks for trusting me to help you with your vehicle today. I have over 30 years of Diagnostic experience. I look forward to working with you. it does in directly. However the sensor for this temperature display is located in front of the condenser assembly just behind the radiator grille. Check for corrosion in this connector and check the resistance of the sensor. It goes from there directly into the meter assembly on the instrument panel.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok but does this sensor have anything to do with the inside heater/ac unit. not functioning properly

the sensor itself has no direct effect on the air conditioning. The air conditioning computer does monitor the outside ambient temperature to adjust certain settings but its such a minor input it should not affect your overall heating and cooling off the system.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

it does seem to effect the control of the heater/ac unit. so what would be my next move on this??????

remove the sensor and ohm test and check the connector for corrosion. What exactly is going on with the air conditioning unit or heating unit is it not cooling?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

wont heat unless on the hottest setting. using the temp control doesnt work

do you have automatic climate controls or do you have the manual rotating knobs for heat control?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

automatic

have you ruled out the basics when it comes to coolant level and circulation to the heater core?when you move from maximum heat to maximum cooling do the servos on either side of the heater control box move full travel?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

dont know about servos. havent looked. as far as the basics...yes. fresh fluid and proper levels

pull the carpeting back on both sides of the center console area under the instrument panel. Look at the side of the box and adjust the temperature and see if the control servos operate the air mix doors on both sides. It should go full hot and cold
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

is sensor hard wired in ??

yes there is a two wire connector snap to the sensor just along the inside vertical beam in front of the radiator behind the bumper cover.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

so i unplug connector and the temp stays the same. thought it would vanish

it should show two single dash marks when disconnected. did you find the correct sensor?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

apparently not. seems to be three sensors on the fan housing. one small two larger. tried the smaller one

the sensor you're looking for is located up under the front bumper. Slide up under and remove the plastic shielding or look through the plastic vent openings and you will see it.the other option is to look down from the latch assembly and the steel brace that holds the bottom of the latch is where you'll find the sensor snapped into.
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Toyota Master Diagnostic
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

found it other place...removed and temp went from 116 to -20. blew out sensor still bad reading. going to replace and see what happens. thanks for all your patience and tech advice.