Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Master Tech. 30 years experience.
13230946

Previa: Marty, I replaced the gas tank on my van but I am getting

Marty, I replaced the gas tank on my van but I am getting leakage from the line that goes out of the e-vap canister. I am wondering if I connected the wrong hose to the top hose of the e-vap (maybe the pressure line instead of the return line). There are two pipes coming from the fuel pump -- one low and one high. Can you tell me which goes where? i.e. the top pipe appears to go to the fuel rail and the bottom to the e-vap. However I may have them mixed up. HELP!

Marty :

Hi, I show one of the fuel lines at the sending unit to be threaded and one should be a push on fitting. Is that what you have?

Customer:

There are 3 hoses. One is threaded and goes to the fuel filter and the two others are push on hoses.

Customer:

I took the hose off from the lower pipe and connected a drain hose, started the van and no gas came out, thus indicating this is a low pressure return line.

Customer:

So, it seems like i have the hoses on right but I cannot figure out why that line coming from the canister is leaking.

Customer:

Where does the lower hose coming off the bottom of the e-vap even go???

Customer:

I am thinking about changing the location of the two hoses coming from the gas tank. I might have switched them.

Marty :

Let me see if I can pull up a schematic of the system.

Marty :

It's not much of a diagram. I'd try swapping the hoses. Is it a lot of work to do so?

Marty :

I would expect the highest hose to go to the canister.

Marty :

The lower hose from the canister should vent to atmosphere.

Marty :

I'm going to step out for a little while. Let me know if you need more help with this and I will reply when I return.

Customer:

OK. That's what I just did and I will run it and see what happens.