Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

Toyota 4Runner: Hello! My 2003 Toyota 4Runner has water inside

Hello! My 2003 Toyota 4Runner has water inside the rear lift hatch. I live in Alaska and it rains a lot during the summer/fall. Water can be drained from a main central drain at the bottom of the lift hatch but not all the water drains as I can still hear it sloshing around. There are two black plugs on either side of the life hatch but I can't get them off. Should I attempt to take these black plugs out? Are they even plugs? Would I be able to drain the water by taking off the back panel from the lift hatch?
Hello, thanks for trusting me to help you with your vehicle today. I have over 30 years of Diagnostic experience. I look forward to working with you. Can you post a picture of the plugs you are referring to?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes...but now that I've taken pictures, I don't think the main one is a drain but rather the latch... This picture shows the latch and the "plug" to the right...there is another "plug" to the left of the latch.Right Plug and Latch

The plugs will come out but they should just be for access to the tracks inside the door but it should allow you to drain the water. There are natural drain holes in the body shell. They may be plugged with debris. To start pop the plugs. If they are hard plastic they may be hard and brittle.. The only other option is to drill a couple of small holes to allow the water to drain.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Where would I find the drain holes? Everything seems to be pretty seamless on the lift hatch...

As I recall they are along the body seam in the corners