Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician

Toyota RAV4 4x2 Limied: I have a 2005 rav4 the engine light

I have a 2005 rav4 the engine light and also the trac off and vsc lights turned on too I took it to AutoZone for the troubleshootting test. this is what it said Evaoratuve emission control pressure leak detected. Probable cause: 1. faualty fuel cap ( which we just replaced) 2. EVAP line leakage 3. Pump module failure 4. canister faulty.                                 

Email:[email protected]

Thank you for trusting us with your questions. Do you have the code number?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

P0456 this is what AutoZone gave me

This code is for a very small evap emissions leak. Without some good diagnostic equipment, this could be very difficult to diagnose. Do you have access to ANY diagnostic tools?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am planning on taking it in to our friend who has a shop in town so he maybe able to see the problem. Other we do not have any diagnostic tools, which I do not know what you mean. Will this tool tell me where the leak is?

The best method to finding a leak is to use a smoke machine. This is a tool that creates a visible vapor that can be put into the evap system to locate the leak.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks so much, I told the auto mechanic about this and he agree too. So we will see tomorrow when I take it in thanks again.Cool

Has your mechanic been able to locate the source of the leak?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes there was a small leak in one of the hoses.