Boxer54
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician
12613057

Toyota Corolla S: My daughters 2006 Toyota Corolla has started

Customer Question

My daughter's 2006 Toyota Corolla has started making a strange noise. While sitting still with car in drive and brake pedal pressed, there is a gurgling noise. Noise stops when brake pedal is released or when car put in park or neutral. The same noise can be heard when breaking at low speeds. Noise is not from breaks but seems to be coming from engine compartment. But it sounds much louder inside the car than under the hood. Brakes works great. After my daughter reported the noise, I changed the drive belt just in case since the belt will sometimes chirp if worn. No difference. The noise is only happens when brake is applied and car is in drive. Same with reverse and L1 & L2. Noise is medium pitched and I believe it rev's with the engine.

Make mechanical skills are high as I grew up in a repair shop but don't do it for a living now and I don't know modern Toyotas. Please help.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for trusting us with your questions. Have you removed the belt and run the engine to see if something running off the belt may be making this noise?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I did not try that. When I changed the belt, my daughter had only reported the noise but she could not explain when it occurred. And of course, she was not there when I went to work on her car. I could not find the noise and never thought to stick the car in drive while holding down on the brake. So I just changed out the belt since I know it sometime causes a chirping noise but always quites after a new quality belt is installed. It was only after later driving the car with my daughter that I actually discovered the noise she described.

If you think best, XXXXX XXXXX remove the belt and see if the noise remains. But it will be tomorrow since my teenage daughter is already gone again in the car. I can respond with the results. Just let me know.

BTW, the car has approx. 150,000 miles on it. We bought it for my wife in 2006 with 20,000 on it. It's been well cared for. Other than the common drive belt issue, this is the first real concern with the Corolla.

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 3 years ago.
I would definitely try it and see. These vehicles have had issues with the belt tensioners that can be quite noisy and manifest themselves under engi ne load.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried it with the belt off the car. It did exactly the same thing. But I did notice that it only happens in reverse unless the car is warmed up or when the AC is on. It appears to be related to having a load on the engine.

I took a video of it this morning. You can hear the noise when the car is in reverse and the brake is applied. It's very loud inside the car. Here's a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwNzHtXfBh8&feature=youtu.be

Please let me know what I should try next?
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 3 years ago.
I viewed your video, but have a hard time hearing anything. I will use headphones to listen again, but will be a little while until I get home and can give it another listen.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You are going to laugh out loud. Laughing

I decided the noise was a vibration that started when the engine physically shifted under load. While inspecting the motor mounts, I found, to my surprise, a hammer wedged between the transmission and the cab. It was transferring the vibration from the engine/trans to the car's interior. Hah!.

This is a hammer I had used several weeks ago while installing a new battery in the car. I should have inventoried my tools after the job. I'm a big dumb but happy fool today. Problem is solved though it was all my own fault to start with.

Thanks for your help. Sometimes it help just to have someone to discuss a problem with. Money is coming your way. Have a great Labor Day.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 3 years ago.
These things happen. I couldn't tell you the number of times I've left tools under a hood. Glad to know its a good conclusion. Keep me in mind if you have other questions. Thank you.