Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Toyota sc300: My gear lock want release, nor will override.

Customer Question

My gear shit lock want release, nor will override. 92 Lexus sc300
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions! When you push the brake pedal down are you getting any brake lights in the back of the vehicle? When you say that it won't release by using the override button are you able to push the button down? Are you getting any response from it at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No response at all. Brakes engaged, button on selector lever depressed. The car has a gear lock override button on the console and there no response with it.
You have any history on the vehicle leading up to this current problem? Was the vehicle jump started recently or did the battery go dead recently?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, car has been inoperative for an extened period of time. Jus replaced an alternator and jump started it. After idling for a time I attempted to move selector from park position and could not.
did you check all of the fuses? Do the brake lights come on when the brake pedal is pushed? Have you disassembled anything on the center console to find out if something was spilled or knocked down into the shifter mechanism for the shift override button?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Looking for the fuse box now. Yes, we have brake lights. No, I have not disassemble the console. In fact where is the fuse panel located.
stand by while I pull up the wiring diagram.
There is one fuse box located on the left inner Fender well under the hood. There is another fuse box located behind the left kick panel on the driver side.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
check fuses, they all appear ok
I am at a loss on this one. I will opt out so that other experts can take a look at this question. Unless something mechanically broke down inside the actuator the shift override lock button should clear the system and allow the shifter to come out of Park.
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I’m Josie a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from an other one of our professionals?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,