Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics
18617752

Echo: I have a 2000 Toyota Echo which has failed the Drive

I have a 2000 Toyota Echo which has failed the Drive Clean test in Ontario with the ODB code P0505. I've been searching online and most places seem to suggest that getting the IAC valve cleaned and looked at might solve the problem. Before I bring it into the shop do you that there are alternative solutions I should keep in mind?

Thanks in advance.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Welcome to the site! Thanks for coming! I'm Ron Z. I'm here to provide as much info and insight as I can, to best answer your question.

The P0505 is a fairly straight forward code pointing to a fault with the IAC Valve. This is usually the case of cabon build-up on the IAC and as a result it is usually stuck closed. There is also a chance that there is a problem in the wiring to the IAC or a faulty ECM (very rare, but I wanted to give you all the options). Carefully inspect the electrical connector and as far up the harness as you can, looking for any loose, broken or damaged wires. Inspect the Air Cleaner hose and make sure there are no cracks, holes or loose connections. If the visual inspection checks ok, most commonly, the problem is in the IAC. Many times the IAC can be cleaned, but there is a strong chance that just a cleaning will not solve the problem and the IAC will need to be replaced. Cleaning can be done by removing the Throttle Body and then removing the IAC and using some throttle body cleaner and a toothbrush. Remember tto use new gaskets when re-installing the Throttle Body.
graphic

Please remember the website WILL NOT automatically compensate me with a part of your deposit or from your subscription WITHOUT YOUR RATING! Please use the Rating System and *Rate My Service* if the information/advice I supplied has helped you. If you have any more questions, use the "Reply" tab – I'm always happy to answer follow-ups! Follow-ups are always FREE! Even after you rate! Thank-you!

Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience: 18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics