AMD
AMD, Toyota Certified
Experience:  Master Automobile Technician L1 Advanced Level Specialist
65953032

camry: License plate light not working and bulb is ok. No voltage

License plate light not working and bulb is ok. No voltage to socket. Checked fuses under hood and dash.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  AMD replied 1 year ago.

AMD :

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your Toyota question, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

AMD :

Are you available to discuss your question at this time?

AMD :

I wanted to ask if the tail lights are working specifically the ones in the trunk?

AMD :

Do the lights marked in yellow in the picture work?

AMD :

I mean when you turn the tail lights?

Customer:

Yes the tail lights are working

AMD :

OK Common for your car to have an issue with the wires that enter the trunk to break at the hinge of the trunk.

AMD :

Are you working on the car yourself and are you mechanically inclined?

AMD :

Basically open the cover on the wire entering the trunk. Look for a green wire which the license plate wire. Trace that wire with the lights being on until you find power isolate the area where you loose power and that's where the wire is cut.

AMD :

You could find the wire cut by pulling it or you could just replace the wire to fix the issue.

AMD :

The wire goes into the trunk on the hinge by the driver's side of the car.

AMD :

Did you have any other questions for me today?

Customer:

Can I just splice another wire into it at the trunk hinge that has power(like the running lites)???

AMD :

Yes you can. The wire is going to be green with a red stripe for the other tail lights.

AMD, Toyota Certified
Experience: Master Automobile Technician L1 Advanced Level Specialist
Expert:  AMD replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.