AMD
AMD, Toyota Certified
Experience:  Master Automobile Technician L1 Advanced Level Specialist
65953032

Toyota Camry: I have a 2000 V6 Toyota Camry that is up to 235k

I have a 2000 V6 Toyota Camry that is up to 235k miles. About 3 years ago, I was driving uphill on a slow-going gravel road on a hot day when it overheated. After the car cooled back down, it ran fine. The same thing happened again a couple more times over the past 2 years. However, this last month the problem has been getting worse. Now it's starting to overheat while going uphill at highway speeds. The check engine light isn't on and I've got plenty of coolant (the vehicle isn't leaking any coolant). As expected, running the AC only exacerbates the problem. I've only had it happen on days over 90 degrees. Any ideas on what might be causing this? As a side note, I replaced my water pump about 6 months ago.
Thanks,
Dave

AMD :

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your Toyota question, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

AMD :

Are you available to discuss your question at this time?

JACUSTOMER-tfuhgoi9- :

Yes

AMD :

Hello! how are you doing today?

JACUSTOMER-tfuhgoi9- :

Doing good - thanks.

AMD :

Wonderful. If I may ask, does the vehicle overheat if sitting parked with the a\c running?

JACUSTOMER-tfuhgoi9- :

It never has - it's only overheating while going uphill.

AMD :

And it's overheating according to the gauge correct?

AMD :

Any loss of coolant or coolant being thrown out?

JACUSTOMER-tfuhgoi9- :

Yes. If I stop the vehicle, the coolant is boiling over so the gauge is definitely correct.

JACUSTOMER-tfuhgoi9- :

The vehicle doesn't lose coolant unless I overheat it to the point of boiling over.

AMD :

OK Thank you for verifying that. There are a few things that would cause the coolant to boil over. First we want to make sure of the big issues since the vehicle does have a history of overheating and has overheated to the point of boiling over.

AMD :

First thing to check is the head gasket.No point in trying anything if it's blown until it's fixed.

AMD :

Typically a leaking head gasket will cause coolant loss however in our case it's not. but safe to check it anyway. A block tester will tell us if the head gasket is leaking or not.

JACUSTOMER-tfuhgoi9- :

What are the symptoms of a blown head gasket?

AMD :

Symptoms of a blown head gasket are many. Most common of them in your car is loss of coolant and white smoke from the exhaust even sometimes a small amount after you leave the vehicle parked over night.

AMD :

Also the overheating of course because of air pockets created by the leak.

AMD :

What causes the coolant to boil over is air in the cooling system which pushes the coolant out or basically over pressure.

JACUSTOMER-tfuhgoi9- :

I haven't seen any of that. The vehicle was leaking coolant about 6 months ago because the water pump needed to be replaced. It hasn't been leaking ever since I replaced the water pump.

AMD :

Are you working on this vehicle by yourself? or a mechanic is working on it?

JACUSTOMER-tfuhgoi9- :

I usually work on it myself, but I had a shop do the water pump since I was too busy.

AMD :

OK I See. Now what I want you to do is this. First have the shop check the head gasket, You can also buy the test kit and follow the instructions yourself to check the head gasket.

AMD :

Then I would replace the thermostat and replace the coolant and if possible take the radiator out and make sure it's clean and clear of dirt and debris.

AMD :

Also try to flush the radiator to make sure it's not clogging up.

AMD :

Then make sure you burp the cooling system well.

AMD :

See how things are after this job. I have a feeling about the head gasket being the issue that's why I want you to check it first.

JACUSTOMER-tfuhgoi9- :

Ok - I'll test that out and see where the problem is. Thanks for the help!

AMD :

You're welcome! I'm glad I could help.

AMD :

A positive rating for my input would be greatly appreciated.

AMD :

Keep me informed of how things goes and if you had any other questions!

JACUSTOMER-tfuhgoi9- :

Will do - have a good night.

AMD :

Have a good night too. Thank you for choosing justanswer.com