Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

Avalon: 2003 toyota avalon and driver side ac blows cold but

2003 toyota avalon and driver side ac blows cold but passenger side blows hot.
Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions! Do you have automatic climate controls or manual dials? Do you have dual climate zones?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have manual dials and it is dual climate zones. I have passenger side dial to coldest position but it is blowing very hot. Driver side is in coldest position and it is blowing cold. Thanks

This system uses mechanical cables attached to these rotating dials. Do the dials feel like they had the same resistance both for the drivers and passenger side. If you rotate the dials from full hot the full cold can you hear the door thump inside at the end of the stop? They should feel the same left and right and make the same noise when. Is achieved.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is definitely stronger resistance on the drivers side. They both make clicks as I dial them around and they each make a thump at the end but the resistance is different in between. The passenger side has less resistance between the clicks.

Thanks

The next step is to pull the carpeting back from the console area both by the drivers accelerator pedal and on the passenger side. If you look up under and rotate the dial for each side he will see the cable coming down and attaching to a lever mechanism. Confirm that the cable is moving this mechanism to full hot and full cold.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yesterday I had a sound system installed. The problem started after taking possession after the installation. What is liklihood the installer knocked something loose. He is going to look for me but he is not a mechanic. Any advice for him?

Unfortunately what you're going to find is the cable disconnected. In order to remove the sound system the heater control panel has to be pulled up out. In order for that to happen you have to disconnect both heater control cables from these lever mechanisms to allow the control panel to slide up out of the instrument panel. Hopefully he did not break the cable where it attaches to the control panel or to the lever arm on the heater box. This would explain why you have a lot less resistance on the one cable vs. the other. The door mechanism is not moving on the heater control box. It's just a matter of reconnecting them if they did not get connected when he put it back together. This would cause the differential in the heat and cooling.