Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Expert,ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ yrs in the field. Self employed for 9 years. AUTOLAB radio show
10772012

toyota camry: Under the hood of my 1994 camry, there is a receptacle

Under the hood of my 1994 camry, there is a receptacle that says coolant on it and it is empty. What type of coolant goes in it?
Hello and good evening. Is your Camry a 4 cylinder or a 6 cylinder?

Your JA Expert,
Ivan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

4 cylinder and the receptacle is on the left hand side of the vehicle when the hood is open.

Ok, your car takes regular Ethylene Glycol. 50/50 mix. You can use any Ethylene Glycol based coolant. Your car may have started with pink or red colored coolant, but you can add Green without any concerns. If you buy it from Toyota you can obtain Red colored and may be able to from the autoparts store as well. Green is perfectly acceptable and easily found.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What damage to the car does it do if it is empty and I drive? Also, is this a fluid that would get taken care of when the car is serviced? I have no idea how long it has been empty. I just noticed it when I was putting in oil.

If the bottle is empty, the radiator is most likely mostly full. Just stay focused on any signs of overheating. If the car does not have any indications of overheating, you are safe to drive with no concerns. It should have been looked at last time the car was serviced, but it may have been overlooked. I recommend adding, then watching to see if the level drops. If so, I would recommend having the car checked for a coolant leak. If it moderates and does not drop, I would continue with life and not worry.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Awesome........................That helps so much!! Thanks for your help and have a wonderful evening.

Marla

You too Marla. Let me know you if you need any help as you proceed.

Ivan