Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Toyota Camry XLE (2.4L 4Cyl): I have 2004 Toyota Camry XLE

I have 2004 Toyota Camry XLE (2.4L 4Cyl). The airbag cover on passenger dash has a about 3 inch length horizontal crack on upper side of the airbag panel. It is the thin plastid around the failure seam has a crack causing to expose the foam underneath. The foam is visible through the 3 inch crack. The crack at widest is about 1/4inch that is about 6mm wide. There is no issue with the airbag light indicator. When a passenger is seated in the front seat the ‘Airbag ON’ Light is illuminated. Is the crack a major concern? In this situation do I need to repair it? If so then what will be the approximate cost?

Ted Ritter :

Hello, welcome to just answer
The crack is not going to affect airbag deployment and is not going to cause unexpected deployment, so other than the cosmetic issue there is nothing to be concerned about, you might also consider getting a dash cover that has provisions to let the airbag deploy If necessary, the vinyl covering can also be repaired by an auto trim shop.

Customer:

Is the dash cover for 2004 Camry XLE available?

Customer:

If I use dash cover will it prevent further increase in cracking?

Ted Ritter :

Yes it will help, the cover will keep the direct UV rays off the dash area which is what causes the cracking,

Customer:

How about repairing the crack first? Any approximate estimate how much will it cost to repair it?

Ted Ritter :

I'm not too familiar with vinyl repair procedures or cost but it seems to me that ir should be less than $80 unless they have to remove the airbag, as far as I know the cover is available from toyota but to replace it the airbag has to be removed, it's about an hour job so about $100 plus the cover, if no cover is available from toyota most trim shops can make one to match exactly.

Customer:

Ok. I am a bit concerned about the dash airbag signal light. I read the manual but it is confusing. My query is...in my situation when a passenger is seated in the front seat and the car is started then the red light 'Airbag ON' stays...Is this normal or the light should go off after few seconds?

Ted Ritter :

The "airbag on" light will stay on as long as there is an occupant in the seat.

Customer:

Great! this resolves my concern about light. Thanks! So I need not worry about the dash crack above the passenger airbag panel now?

Ted Ritter :

Yes, that's correct, I hope I have given you some viable choices to deal with the crack on the cover, all of them a lot cheaper than replacing a $700 air bag

Customer:

Yes. I will do the dash crack repair first and then look for the option of dash cover to avoid development of cracks in the future!

Ted Ritter :

Very good, please take a moment to rate my answer, thank you.

Customer:

Sure! I will....Thanks for the Good advice!