AMD
AMD, Toyota Certified
Experience:  Master Automobile Technician L1 Advanced Level Specialist
65953032

camry: I have 2008 Camry XLE. A week ago I pressed the window

I have 2008 Camry XLE. A week ago I pressed the window switch to lower the window and the whole door lock/window assembly dropped below the trim plate and sunk 2/3 inches into the door panel. I was able to pull it back into place by lifting up on the window buttons. It will not stay. A couple of days ago, only the driver window switch worked -- the others did not lower the windows. Today they work, but the assembly still sinks below the door panel trim. Any idea how to keep buttons in place when pressed?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  AMD replied 1 year ago.

AMD :

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your Toyota question, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

AMD :

Are you available to discuss your question at this time?

AMD :

I wanted to ask if the window recall was done or not.

AMD :

I mean the power window switch recall was done

AMD :

If you are not sure please provide the VIN no. so I can check

Customer:

AMD, the dealer completed a recall notice last year while doing an oil change, so I didntand told me to ignore the notice when it came in the mail so I didn't pay attention. In any case, the dealer did an oil change and I mentioned the window switch problem and they fixed it. I was worried about the cost, but they fixed it for free. How often does that happen, I wonder?!

AMD :

Hello!

AMD :

I just want to make sure I understand this, Was the switch fixed under the recall now? or last year?

Customer:

AMD: the Toyota dealer completed a recall notice while doing an oil change last year. I believe it was window-related. In any case, I dropped by the dealer's service department while running errands and showed them the problem. Some sort of clip had broken and they repaired it. Am wondering if the problem was related to the recall, because they didn't bill me. That's a first -- they've never done anything for free!

Customer:

AMD, the dealer completed

AMD :

The problem is most likely related to the recall because the recall involves removing the switch and disassembling it. Toyota does actually compensate the dealership for their time on anything related to the power window switch.

AMD :

So basically they are going to bill toyota for fixing the switch for you which is good as far as me and you are concerned.

AMD :

If you have any issues down the road with the power window switch on the driver's side remember the recall and remember to ask the dealership and call toyota if needed they typically take care of the issue for you since there was a recall in that area and it's a very big and important recall.

AMD :

Did you have any other questions for me today?

Customer:

The recall repair was completed. It was done many months ago.

AMD :

I know, however we had isolated cases where there was issues after the recall was completed long time ago. the reason for this is typically either that the recall was done incorrectly or it's pure luck and coincidence and toyota has been very good about covering both cases to satisfy the customer and not make a small problem big.

Customer:

Oh, sorry. The dealer did not refer to the window recall notice. It's just amazing that there was no charge.

AMD :

Dealerships will fix things for free at times when toyota gives them the OK to do so, And sometimes if you are a loyal customer to that dealership meaning when you maintain your vehicle at that dealership they will also fix things for free, of course being small things that don't take a lot of time.

Customer:

Is there a way I can enlarge the chat window? Having difficulty reading and it scrolls so fast.

AMD :

OK Let me switch the question to a different format, Please refresh your page in a few moments

Expert:  AMD replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  AMD replied 1 year ago.
Does this show things better?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, MUCH better. I think you were on the right track with your diagnosis, even if the dealer acted before we finished our chat. Thanks so much. glad this service is available. I stumbled upon it but will recommend it to friends and family. .

Expert:  AMD replied 1 year ago.
I'm glad the dealership came through!

Other than this recall which was the latest for your car, There are no other newer recalls after this one so you should be all set.

If you ever have issues with the sun visors not saying up remember that this is covered under a special warranty extension, If you have any issues with your sun visors call or visit your dealership and they will replace them for free. They are super common to have issues.

A positive rating for my input would be greatly appreciated!
AMD, Toyota Certified
Experience: Master Automobile Technician L1 Advanced Level Specialist