Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

Tacoma 4x4: I have a 2003 Toyota Tacoma 4x4. When i engage

I have a 2003 Toyota Tacoma 4x4. When i engage the 4WD system, normally i see the green 4WD light illuminates. Now when I engage the 4WD system, it only engages and the light does not illuminate. I have pulled out the cluster and checked the bulb and yes it is good. Need your help
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions! Are you 100% certain that the vehicle is in fact in four-wheel drive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what kind of info

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
have you confirmed that it is definitely in four-wheel drive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes i have, u can feel the change when u start moving

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Let me look into the wiring diagram and I'll see where the switch is that controls the power to that light. I will get back to you within the hour.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

ok

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

There is a detection switch for 4 WD on the left side of the transfer case there is a two wire connector going to it. The black wire with a yellow tracer and a white wire with a black tracer. If you disconnect the switch and place a jumper wire across the two female pins does the four-wheel drive light illuminate? It does then the switch is bad. If it does not then it requires extensive diagnostic testing of the automatic disconnecting differential mechanism and switch that is Incorporated into the unit. Typically though when this fails it will not shifting the four-wheel drive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i am under the vehicle now and not seeing it. tell me where to look

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Click the link below to enlarge.

graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

base on the diagram I am seeing it looks like an engine bay overview. the only two pin connector i am seeing looks like a cam/crank angle sensor.

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
This is a shot of the engine bay but that harness that goes beyond and down underneath is how they show up for the connectors that go to the transmission.
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Toyota Master Diagnostic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

saw the only 2 pin connector, removed it and tried to clean it up with parts cleaner. as i said it looks like a crank sensor with a metal point protruding.

loop the pin into the female connector and still no light.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Look at T3

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
T3 is a two – four select switch. You should not have this feature if you have the manual shift to manually shift the four-wheel-drive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok. not sure what else to do. any other suggestion..

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Without getting into sensor diagnostics of the ADD actuator and the wiring harness provided it still shifting into four-wheel drive I would not be too concerned about the indicator light on the instrument panel. The bottom line is you know it's in four-wheel drive then you know when to take it out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My sentiments exactly. You have been great help. Whenever u come to the Caribbean u can give me a call. I went underneath the vehicle and looked at the front prop shaft when the 4WD is engaged and i can see it twist and turn when u put the selector lever into either R or D.

When the 4WD drive is disengaged and put the selector lever into R or D, on the rear prop shaft twist.

So with all that being said and done, i am fully convinced that the 4WD is working.

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome. Have a great weekend and I would love to get down there sometime have never been.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

have a great one too.

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Thanks