Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

2013 Toyota Highlander - I want to replace the present manual dimming rear view mirror wit

2013 Toyota Highlander - I want to replace the present manual dimming rear view mirror with an auto dim model with a compass from CIPA. How do I remoive the reading light assembly from the headliner to get at the 12V power?
Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions! Click this LINK and save the info. The front assembly pops down from the front then pulls out. The pop clips are tight.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The pic shows a "shoehorn" to release the front. Anything breakable?

These can be difficult pop down they use a shoehorn basically or a plastic prybar to get between the headliner and the dome light assembly itself. Sometimes the plastic trim will have a tendency to pull away from the actual housing assembly itself. I still don't understand why they make these pop clips so tight in the sheet-metal. Carefully pull it from both sides and it should pop loose and come down from the front.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The dome light/reading light came out ok and I wired the self dimming mirror/compass to the white and black wires in the big connector. It worked fine until I closed the door and the ceiling light turned off. Then the mirror turned off.

Is there a wire, switched by the ignition,that I can get power from in that assembly or will I be forced to get my wires routed to under the dash.

2013 Toyota Highlander plus.

You will not be able to tap into any wires at the dome light that are ignition feed. There either all battery on or door fed. You’ll need to tap into the yellow wire pin number five at the sliding sunroof ECU. If you do not have a sliding sunroof and this will create a problem because you will have to run wire from the fuse block.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Its been a long (and frustrating) day. Please allow me to read your reply tomorrow. Thank you.

OK Let me know if you need anything else.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Last question - Can I use the ground that is presently connected and just run the hot lead to the fuse block or do you recommend running both wires ?

Where do you have it grounded at? Do you have side curtain air bags?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Lets forget the ground question. I will run both wires To the fuse block area.

I don't know if I have side curtain air bags. The Highlander Plus has only "standard features", and the only options are rubber floor mats.

The A pillar inner trim piece will have SRS or Curtain bag stamped on the trim piece. You just need to be careful when popping it off or loose to tucking the wire in behind to run it down to the box.