ddamato1986
ddamato1986, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified in Engine Repair, Performance, Brakes, A/C and Suspension.
66601205

tacoma sport 4 dr: I have a 2012 Tacoma how does the anti theft

I have a 2012 Tacoma how does the anti theft work
Category: Toyota
Expert:  ddamato1986 replied 1 year ago.

ddamato1986 :

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer I would be happy to assist you.

ddamato1986 :

Are you having a problem or just curious how the anti theft system works?

Customer:

just curious

ddamato1986 :

Do you have keyless entry?

Customer:

yes

ddamato1986 :

Do you have push start or do you have to actually put the key in the ignition?

Customer:

key in

ddamato1986 :

Alright, most anti theft systems are designed similar. The purpose is to prevent somebody from stealing the car, however it does not prevent somebody from breaking in.

ddamato1986 :

The key is manufactured with a specific resistance built in. There is a sensor in the key cylinder which will only work when your specific key is in it. Basically meaning that somebody cannont hot wire or jump the ignition to steal it.

ddamato1986 :

Its a fairly simple process, meaning that the sensor which indicates your key sends a signal to the computer allowing the car to start.

ddamato1986 :

The only way this can be avoided from robbers is to bring a seperate computer and ignition switch if they wanted to steal your car. If you need to get a new key you would need to have the computer reprogrammed to recognize the new key.

ddamato1986 :

here is a basic picture

ddamato1986 :

Full Size Image

ddamato1986 :

do you have any additional questions?

Customer:

what is the red button on the left side of the dash

ddamato1986 :

It should be your factory alarm, does it flash?

Customer:

no

ddamato1986 :

Did you buy the car from the dealership, or a second party?

Customer:

new

ddamato1986 :

It should be your factory alarm then , and needs to be flashing when the car is armed. The button should disarm when pushed if the key is in the ignition.

ddamato1986 :

If the car was broken in to and the alarm was going off

ddamato1986 :

Is there a reason why I was given a poor rating?

ddamato1986 :

I did answer your initial question about how an anti theft works,

ddamato1986 :

You did not mention in the question about your alarm system.

Customer:

every thing you told me can be looked up in the owners man

ddamato1986 :

What else would you like to know about the anti theft system?

Customer:

I went to the body shop today when I got ready to go the truck would not start and the horn started to honk the bodyman said they had set the antitheft he did some thing with the key fob and it started

Here is the procedure to reset, sorry for the confusion I thought you wanted a description on how it actually works.

1. Start with the key out of the ignition, drivers door is open all others closed and
drivers door is unlocked.

2. Perform these steps within 5 seconds.
A. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out.
B. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out.

3. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.
A. Close then open the drivers door.
B. Close then open the drivers door.
C. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out.

4. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.
A. Close then open the drivers door.
B. Close then open the drivers door.
C. Insert the key into ignition and leave it in ignition.
D. Close the drivers door.
E. Turn the ignition to ON (Do NOT Start) then back to OFF.
F. Remove the key from the ignition.

5. Within 3 seconds, the power door locks should lock then unlock automatically
indicating successful entry into programming mode.
Return to step 1 if the locks do not cycle at this point.

6. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.
A. Press the lock and unlock buttons on the remtoe simutaneously for 1.5 seconds.
B. Immediately after letting go of the lock and unlock buttons,
Press the lock button by itself and hold for 2 seconds. Within 3 seconds, the door
locks should lock and then unlock once indicating successful programming. If
the door locks cycle twice, repeat steps A and B in step 6 as the remote was
not accepted.
C. Repeat steps A and B in step 6 for each new remote.

7. Open drivers door.

Please be sure to change your rating experience if this answers your question.
ddamato1986, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified in Engine Repair, Performance, Brakes, A/C and Suspension.