scott
scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Bumper to bumper technician24 years Bumper to bumper technician all makes
12331040

Toyota Prius T4: Hi there, I have 2008 toyota prius T4. I

Hi there,
I have 2008 toyota prius T4. I recently change the exhaust all the way from front to back. After changing it upto few weeks everything was fine but recently engine warning light came on and i took it to toyota dealer to check it, they said because catalytic converter in the car is different made than toyota that is the reason this light is on. It will stays on untill you dont install the toyota made exhaust and catalytic converter.
I am really worried about it can somebody please help me about it.

scott :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will gladly assist you with your vehicle concern.

Customer:

Hi

scott :

Hello...

I will assume that you are popping a Catalytic Converter inefficiency code since you did not post the code description.

Some after market cats tend not to react enough for the PCM to determine if you are compliant. It is something we have seen for the last few years, as the new vehicles switch from O2 sensors to Air/Fuel Sensors. Much more sensitive, and makes the bureaucrats and "grenen people" happy

scott :

A catalytic Converter is a reactor. As the exhaust gasses pass through, they heat up, essentially causing a fire. The outlet temp HAS to Be hotter than the inlet temp, by at least 150 degrees. Chances are, yours is not.

Customer:

yes

scott :

This burns off the Hydrocarbons, or unburnt fuels and helps reduce the NOX's... or oil that may pass due to the combustion process.

scott :

As much as this will hurt the pocket, you need the correct converter. Without it, your vehicle will not operate properly. With that lamp on, it will tend to run richer, meaning more fuel.

scott :

The shop that installed the converter should be able to credit you and install a Toyota one. Most likely the cheapest route to go.

Customer:

hhhhmmmm

scott :

Your thoughts?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think you are rite

Can I get that in writing for my wife. HA! Let me know what happens. Good luck.